27" iMac... a different kind of yellow problem

Discussion in 'iMac' started by musukosan, Jan 27, 2010.

1. musukosan macrumors regular

I know there have been hundreds of posts on the yellow tinge thing and other screen issues with the new iMac line, but I have a different problem that I haven't found anywhere else. Randomly, I get a thick yellow bar down the middle of my screen. About 3 inches wide. It might last a couple minutes, or 30 minutes. Not usually for very long, but shows up every now and then. The weird thing is that the yellow only shows on white. So if I had a black desktop background, it doesn't show. Actually - I did some tests in Photoshop and found out the yellow shows on any color with 255 as its blue RGB value. I find that very weird. Has anyone had or heard of anyone having this same problem?
    I've searched and searched and haven't found it.

Of course, I'm going to call Apple, but I wanted if it is widespread or not.

2. Btom macrumors 6502a

How strong is this yellow? Can it be matched with specific number for Y (like Y=128, or 64 for example)?

Tom B.

3. musukosan thread starter macrumors regular

Not very dark, maybe y=150? Not sure really how to make that judgement. Called Apple, they had me reset the PVRAM and told me call back if it comes back. Which we are sure it will. Just a matter of time before I have to ship it back to Apple.

4. andyroberts macrumors newbie

5. musukosan thread starter macrumors regular

Yup, pretty much what I got... except I've only seen the yellow color, and like I said, only on colors with a blue RGB value of 255... of course if the color is dark enough you don't see the yellow at all. Most the time it's only noticeable on white.

Attached Files: