27" iMac and Persistent Image

Discussion in 'iMac' started by nathanlukewong, Jan 16, 2014.

1. nathanlukewong, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014

nathanlukewong macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I know that having a persistent image on the new iMaxs is considered 'normal' - although i find it difficult to use all 27 inches of my iMac at once if im working on a Word document (often for several hours) all my other windows - Twitter, Mail etc - get burnt in.

Is there anyway to prevent this or do I just have to live with it?

Some photos from the login screen after working on a Word document
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4966582/IMG_2854.jpg

[​IMG]

2. ventuss macrumors 6502

I have zero image retention, even after hours using the same window.

3. nathanlukewong thread starter macrumors newbie

interesting - you could have a samsung panel instead?

Although the image retention does go away after a while - it is just annoying!

4. ventuss macrumors 6502

I don't know.

My old iMac had a lot of image retention, but my new 27" model has none. I didn't escape the bottom 1/3 being yellowish though...

5. nathanlukewong thread starter macrumors newbie

It just seems silly to me that they make such a large monitor that can't be all used at once but these problems happen

6. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

How far do you guys have the brightness turned up? I use my 2012 iMac around 10 hours a day and haven't seen ANY image retention whatsoever. I have the brightness around 25% to 30%, which measures at around 120cd/m3 which is about the right level for normal use.

No doubt if you have the brightness whacked way up, then you may well get image retention issues.

7. spacedcadet macrumors regular

wow

that would be going straight back to Apple for a replacement if it was mine.

8. david401 macrumors member

Bring it in to the Apple Store for repair. Hopefully it's under warranty. It'll probably pass their 5 min IR test but they should replace the screen if you show them the picture.

9. ventuss macrumors 6502

I let the auto brightness feature take care of my backlight intensity, but it hardly goes beyond 30%.. only if I let the windows wide opened. Maybe is that the reason I have no IR? I don't think so...

10. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

11. adamneer macrumors 6502

I've got the same issue:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1696434

i'm not looking forward to taking it in to an Apple store on account of how gigantic it is.

And the way I see it is, if some people don't have this issue at all, then theres no way in hell it can be considered an inherent issue to all LCDs like Apple's official documentation suggests. One of the techs I spoke to told me the type of "normal" image retention they are referring to last only a second or two, not 30 minutes like our cases.

12. nathanlukewong thread starter macrumors newbie

1/3 of the way for me

----------

How did you go at the Apple store?

I think the problem for me is if I take it in they are going to go theres nothing wrong because the image has gone - even though it takes 30 minutes for it to go away!

13. Fatboy71 macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

I have zero image retention on my late 2012 iMac, even after hours on the same screen.

What you are experiencing isn't normal and I would book a Genius Bar appointment.

If the image retention appears after several hours, I would explain this at the Apple Store so that they can ensure that they run for a few hours to see the image retention appear.

What I would also do is, take some photos showing the image retention and show these to the Genius Bar staff.