27" imac being used as a moniter - connect to tv?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by powerhouse7, Oct 21, 2009.

1. powerhouse7 macrumors regular

I've just discovered that the new 27" iMac can be connected to a macbook and used as a monitor. Does this mean that it now has the capabilities to be connected to a digital set top box and used as a TV? (even if it can't record, but just watch) or do i still need to buy eyeTV?

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

Nope.

3. powerhouse7 thread starter macrumors regular

You Can

Just answering my question, you can watch tv on the mac, but not because it's a 27" new imac. All you need is digital set top box with a firewire/USB connection (and the appropriate software - there is freeware about) and you can watch and record with any mac.

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

That's good to know, thanks for the update. I wish Apple had made it so only the display needed to be on (using it as a true monitor/TV) and included other inputs. Would make it quite appealing to those that require a smaller TV and a Mac computer (two birds, one stone). But alas, the iMac needs to be completely powered on whether using it with a Display Port computer or with the method you posted :(

5. powerhouse7 thread starter macrumors regular

Another Way

After rummaging around my house, i discovered an old (3-4 years) set top box with a VGA output, but no firewire. So, I have connected it up to my second display via the VGA cable (the screen has two inputs, so i can have both my computer and set top box plugged in at the same time) and put audio in my stereo (but I imagine you can also plug audio into the audio input jack on imac's). While I can only watch live tv, this is how I have solved the problem without spending money. :)