27" iMac - Buy now or wait?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Steve.P.JobsFan, Jan 30, 2012.

?

What should I do?

Poll closed Feb 29, 2012.
  1. Buy a brand new 27" with the 512MB Video Card in March

9.4%
  2. Buy a refurbished 27" with the 1GB Video Card in March

26.4%
  3. Wait until Apple refreshes the iMac lineup

64.2%
  1. Steve.P.JobsFan macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

I've scraped the MacBook Pro plan 95% of the way. I'm strongly considering the 27" iMac with the 512MB card because of all the gaming I do, and the video processing, since it has faster internals. I plan to buy in March. Should I...

A) Buy a brand new 27" with the 512MB card in March

B) Buy a refurb 27" with the 1GB card for $50 less than a brand new 512 model

C) Wait until the refresh

Comments, advice, and opinions are appreciated.

Thanks,

William.

2. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

From another thread, looks like Ivy Bridge will be somewhere around Apr 1 - Apr 7. So iMac refresh should be near then as well.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're planning on waiting until march, then why not wait a few more months or two when Ivy Bridge is released. Intel is releasing the chip set April/May and Apple should hopefully have the new models a month later.

4. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

None of the poll choices reflects the maxim: "Buy only when you need it."

When March arrives, just ask yourself "can I wait for a new model?" If your answer is "yes" then wait. When the new model comes out, ask yourself the question again! The longer you can wait, the more money you will save.

As to the refurb versus new question -- buy the refurb if you can get one with the options you need.

5. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

So Buy Now = Buy in March? :D

If you can wait, wait. If you want/need, buy.

6. GibMcFragger macrumors newbie

GibMcFragger

It's totally up to you whether you can hold off or not. I didn't. I bought a 27" i7 refurb a few weeks ago and i LOVE IT. This thing is more than fast enough for anything I toss at it. Gaming is awesome with the i7 and HD6970M 1GB.

I haven't found a game yet that doesn't run like butter with all settings maxed at 2560x1440.

The only thing I can recommend is tossing some more ram into it, 4GB isn't enough for the i7. I tossed another 8GB (2x4GB ~$55) for a total of 12GB, and now it screams along. :D

7. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I voted for wait for the refresh, I mean it's up to you, but that is what I am doing.
    I really cannot wait for the next iMac.

8. mario24601 macrumors regular

I'd say buy now, just got my 3.4 27" and glad I did not wait...when the new one come out...IF its a lot faster and IF nicer then may be ill look at selling the one I just got but honest this is way fast :)

9. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

i think you should buy the refurbished with 1gb video.

10. bungiefan89 macrumors 6502a

Whatever you do, wait.

The 2012 iMac could be significantly better than the current offering, but if you don't like what you see, you can get the older model.

Myself, I'd lean towards buying the 2012 model. I own the top-tier 27" 2011 iMac. I got it just days after it became available. Let me tell you: knowing you have the absolute latest technology is a great feeling. But that sensation is trumped even MORE by avoiding something we've all gone through: buying a new computer and seeing a better one come out for the same price within a few months. :mad:

Also, I can testify that the iMac I have is fantastic for gaming... even better once I installed Windows 7 through bootcamp. ;)

11. dr Dunkel macrumors regular

What kind of games and what kind of FPS do you need to consider something to "run like butter"?

12. Steve.P.JobsFan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

13. ridesdeepsnow macrumors member

I believe to wait until a refresh. If the refresh isn't a mind blower then go with the refurb

You should always get the refurb equipment, you save money and could never tell it was a refurb the way Apple has a OCD manner of the condition of their products