27" Imac + Cinema Display + Mav = LR & Spaces pain

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bodtwo, Oct 25, 2013.

1. bodtwo macrumors newbie

Hello All,

I'm after some guidance after upgrading my 2012 iMac to Mavericks this morning and spending most of the day trying to find a solution to my issue.

So, 27" imac, Cinema Display so dual monitor set up. Now before mavericks i had Lightroom running max on the main display and max on the secondary display using the Secondary Display function in Lightroom. In other dual spaces i ran email in the main window and my calendar as large as possible in my secondary display. Next 'set' of spaces i ran Finder windows in main and system stuff in secondary and so on.

Now in Mavericks, i get that each monitor is independent of each other, yet now LR secondary window will not start up on second monitor, i have to either go to mission control and move things around, or give in. And if i do arrange things how i want them and move away on the primary and secondary display and then go back, the LR secondary output is now on the main window.

You can fudge things in Mission Control preferences by de-selecting 'Displays have separate Spaces' and then logging out and back in, but then you lose the ability to maximise an application and not have the other monitor just grey out.

If someone could point me at a doc to read that explains how multiple displays are supposed to work i could probably get my head around it, but all i keep finding is people waxing lyrical as to how wonderful multiple displays are in mavericks, so i must be doing something wrong?

Stephen

2. ronm99 macrumors 6502

I'm curious about this as well. It seems to me that the new way of using Spaces on multiple monitors is great if you have one application running on a single monitor.

However, for single applications that span multiple monitors, the new implementation is confusing to me.

I have Parallels run using all of my monitors. When I switch to a "Parallels" space on one monitor, I really want to have the other monitor switch to Parallels space as well. It is confusing to me to only be seeing half of the windows for my application. If an application could just "link" its spaces so that they would be displayed all or nothing, I would be much happier.

3. Outrigger, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013

Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

I fear its either one or the other. i.e. the old way, where if you max an app, the other screen is useless vs. post mav.

Maybe adobe will have some sort of update, as the preview on the 2nd display is extremely useful to me.

EDIT: I take that back. my second screen still shows the preview as before with no setting adjustments.