27" iMac config: Debating between 512 gb SSD and 3TB Fusion

Discussion in 'iMac' started by twilexia, Oct 21, 2015.

1. twilexia macrumors 6502

I'm having a struggle debating between the two hard drive options. As a musician who uses Logic Pro X daily and video editing weekly, I've already settled on the i7 processor and the m395 GPU (will also be upgrading the RAM but not through apple)

However, I'm still unsure whether I should go for the 3TB fusion drive, or 512 SSD. The price difference is minimal (100$ more for the SSD).

One thing I absolutely hate is running out of space. Which is why I originally thought, if I get the 3TB fusion drive, I'll never have to worry about running out. I'll also never have to worry about USBs or external hard drives failing on me (I've had them fail on me in the past), and be able to just use them as backup rather than for day to day. One thing I hate is having to transfer files around in order to free up space.

However, I also do know that the Fusion drive even the 3TB version is going to be a lot slower than the 512 SSD. I think saving big audio and video project files will be faster on the SSD.

So my question to you all is if you were in my position would you go for the 512 GB SSD or 3TB Fusion?

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

To be honest anything you are working on at the time should be on the SSD so fast and then moved to the HDD when not used very much over time in the background it'll only be when accessing old unused stuff you'll get an issue.

That being said only you can decide this yopu have done your research you know the pros and cons you just have to decide wether onboard storage is mor eimportant to you than total speed.

3. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

512GB SSD without a doubt. With video (and audio) you are always doing media management anyway with external drives. Get one of these http://www.seagate.com/external-hard-drives/portable-hard-drives/performance/backup-plus-fast-hdd/ or an external SSD and create some shortcuts to it so you don't have to think about it later. Video should never be on your system drive anyway. Previews and renders would work well on the SSD as well as programs and files you need immediate access to frequently.

4. twilexia thread starter macrumors 6502

You made a good point about previews - I tried editing some video on the imac (w/ fusion drive) at my friend's place, and it seems the previews did not load as quickly as they do on my macbook pro (256 gb SSD). Do you think the fusion drive is the reason?

5. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

Yes. The harddrive part of the fusion drive is not strong enough for most media. You need a raid drive minimum.

6. twilexia thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Sirmausalot. I've heard about the Raid setups and was curious what is a good one?

I was reading your thread a few days ago (http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/answers-which-retina-imac-do-i-get.1929275/#post-22101563) and I was impressed you said 2. Audio Professional 27" i7 m395 with 2GB RAM 3TB Fusion Mouse or Trackpad. Was curious why you thought the 3TB fusion drive is better for Audio professionals than SSD?

7. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

Audio doesn't require nearly the same kind of bandwidth as video and the fusion would work for that. Though probably will better to go with a 512gb ssd or 1tb if you can afford it. The fusion, I think, is a great compromise for some. Though many people steer people away fm it.

8. cbrand493 macrumors 6502