27" iMac Crackling Sounds

Discussion in 'iMac' started by shaunbowers, Oct 8, 2013.

1. shaunbowers macrumors newbie

Hi Guys, I just got a new 27" 3.2GHz iMac which was about 1 and a half weeks ago.

It is making like a crackling sound all the time and is starting to annoy me, I googled it and apparently something to do with the Optical drive if you have one. I do, so I unplugged it (Official Apple Superdrive) and it still remains making the sounds.

I recorded a little bit of the sound so you could judge it..
    http://vocaroo.com/i/s0ZInjVBwv6Q

Does anyone know what it could be?
    Thanks!

2. Fatboy71 macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

Can't really hear anything on your sound clip (just background noise).

Not sure if this will be the issue with yours, but it could be with your iMac been brand new.

When the Late 2012 iMac was released, some people complained of a creaking/cracking/ sound coming from their iMac.

What was found was that the noise was coming from the bonding adhesive tape that holds the iMac's screen in place.

Basically with it been brand new and with the iMac heating up and cooling down, the tape had not fully cured. What was found was that as time went on, the noise became less and less, and after around 4-6 weeks it had disappeared completely.

See if your iMac does the same, and if it hasn't stopped after 6 weeks, then perhaps contact Apple.