27" iMac died tonight-A couple questions, please help

Discussion in 'iMac' started by fiveyeareve, May 26, 2010.

1. fiveyeareve macrumors newbie

My 27" i5 iMac suddenly shut off tonight (wasn't a power surge either) and now won't turn on whatsoever. I've unplugged it and waited awhile before plugging it back in and nothing. When I press the on button, nothing happens. There is no hard drive start up sound or anything. Now I'm taking this to the Genius Bart tomorrow an have a few questions.

1)Will they replace my iMac in store if it is in stock, or will I have to send it in?

2)Will it be replaced with a new or refurbished iMac? (either in store or through sending it in)

3)What happens to the hard drive inside my current iMac (assuming that its not the problem)? I'm not so much concerned about the data loss, but more or less that I have a lot of personal data and projects on there currently.

If it helps, I only bought this at the end of March, beginning of April, so it is still pretty new. Thanks for all the help.

2. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

in my experience

and this was over a decade ago: they will most likely try to repair the iMac first.

My gen 1 iMac died 5 weeks in and I went through 2 months of repairs before finally getting a replacement which was fine for almost four years.

Things may have changed since 1999, but from what I've been reading on this forum if it's out of the 14 day window you are most likely looking at repairs. Hopefully more knowledgable folks can help out here.

Good luck,