27" imac display cable pulled a pin off logic board, can it be soldered?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sparklegrass, Mar 7, 2012.

1. sparklegrass macrumors newbie

Like a dumb ass, I tried to replace my hard drive on my own and in the process accidentally pulled the display cable the wrong way and one of the pins connected to the most delicate logic bard!!came off. Is this possibly fixable done by a skilled solder. Don't want to have to buy a new logic board. I SUCK! just paid the friken thing off :mad:

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Owch man I feel your pain I did the same thing except I stopped when I heard the crunching sound and thankfully only 4 of the pins came loose and it was the socket itself that was disconnected. I resoldered the side and the ground connection and it looks like it's working all right. But that will be extremely difficult to resolder regardless. People have done it but even with some soldering skill I had trouble just doing the top part. I couldn't imagine doing the pins as well.

3. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

It can be repaired. I've done it. I had to order a new connector. You need a low power iron so you don't damage other components, and special solder for low temp applications.

I had a post on here. I'll try and dig it out.

----------

Posted from my old handle (didn't realize I had signed up twice):

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1049431&highlight=solder