27" iMac - Dying Screen, ETA for getting it replaced?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mmachine, Oct 14, 2011.

1. mmachine macrumors newbie

Does anyone have experience and input on how long it takes Apple to turn around a screen replacement on a 27" iMac? Mine, less than a year old, is starting to drastically loose brightness on the left side only.

My concern is with timeframe for a fix -- I'm a freelancer, and without this thing I'm useless. I was told usually this is a repair process that can be done in-store -- of course, no indication on how long that might take. Either way, I'd feel a bit better if I could potentially plan for how long I'll be out of commission.

AppleCare / warranty isn't a concern -- I'm good there.

2. lc25 macrumors 6502

I think it depends on the store near you and how big they are, the one near me is pretty small and it took them eight days in total (inc a weekend) to sort my old macbook pro when it had a similar problem. However i have a friend who had an iMac and had the same problem as you and it was fixed in three days but went to a rather large store.

If i was you i would talk to the store manager and see if they can order the screen in (if needed) and you drop it off on the day it comes in, i have always found they are normally rather accomodating if you explain yourself.

3. mmachine thread starter macrumors newbie

Not a bad idea -- thanks for the info. I was actually wondering if they'd be flexible on drop-off dates. I'll see what they can do.

I'm in NYC, btw, if anyone else has had a similar experience or can recommend the best Apple store to take it to.

4. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Time frames will be dependent upon the stock they have. I've had two drives swapped out and it has taken more than a week both times which was a problem because they didn't bother to order two drives at the same time, just my one. When that ended up being a DOA I had to wait once again.

This last time with my MBP and a dead drive, 4 days total which was a bit long but at least it was handled. I would call and ask if they are stocking any replacement display units, be very specific about model and all. If not try the next closest store and go from there.

Good luck :)