27" iMac for Lightroom, FCPX & Da Vinci Resolve

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gladek, Oct 14, 2015.

1. gladek macrumors newbie

Hi, Currently I'm using a MBP 13" (early 2011 i5 2,3ghz, 8gb RAM, Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 Mo, SSD 512gb). As a hobby I do a lot of :
    1) photo editing in Lightroom (Raw), I'm satisfied with the MBP performance
    2) video rendering in FCPX (proxy format while rendering)

I would like to improve FCPX performance and use DaVinciResolve to edit/color grading.
    All my pictures and videos are stored on external HDD (firewire).

I think to start with 27" i5, 8gb RAM... but still wondering which configuration to choose for HDD & CG
    1. RAM will be upgraded later, so 8gb will be ok
    2. HDD, it used to be easy upgrades in past but not sure if that is still the case with 2015 iMac? (display glue???) If so I will switch with a SSD.
    3. is basic CG 2gb sufficient for my needs? If so which one? (So far my MBP with 512 shared was very slow but OK with a lot of patience...) Or the the 4gb is indispensable?
    4. A little doubt about the i5... Is it possible to replace the CPU later?
    Any input would be appreciated :)

2. gladek thread starter macrumors newbie

What do you think about the refurb 27" retina late 2014 i5 3,5gh with 16Gb RAM, SSD 512 Go and CG R9 M290X 2 Gb GDDR5 ?

3. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

If you're going to edit 4k video, and you are within the next year or two, you'll want an i7 and the 395x with 4GB RAM. You need both for proper grading, compressing, and rendering. Get the 512GB SSD. If you are having trouble with cashflow, you might be better with last year's machine as a refurb or used with the 295x and the i7.

The things you're paying for in the new machine, increased color gamut, faster memory, faster SSD aren't nearly as important as the best video card with max memory (4GB) and an i7 -- even Haswell over Skylake!

4. gladek thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm just doing video on HD and Raw video (magic lantern) not 4k...
    My current MBP was too slow for video even with proxy and DaVinciResolve is not working on this setup...

According to your feedback, the refurb i7 with R9 M295X avec 4 Go should be the best solution... 3000€

5. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

If you're doing RAW video, absolutely the highest end graphics card and i7 processor. But if money is tight, yes, go for last years model. But I don't see any in the refurb store with a m295x with 4GB RAM as of yet. Keep watching it.

6. gladek thread starter macrumors newbie