27" iMac freezing in Windows 7 after a while

Discussion in 'iMac' started by upsguy27, Nov 15, 2009.

1. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

So I just installed Windows 7 on my 27" i5 iMac, and it was working fine until just now. It froze completely (I could move the mouse around) for a minute, and then it unfroze. I kept using it, and then it froze again, but this time I had to restart by holding down the power button. It just happened again, and I had to restart again. The only thing I have running is Chrome, and this is a fresh install. What's going on?

2. Komiksulo macrumors 6502

3. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

I was using Windows 7 under Boot Camp on my 24" iMac for months and it was fine...

4. Komiksulo macrumors 6502

But the 27-inchers are new hardware that postdates Win7. I wonder how much of a difference that makes.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yep, this is a chipset newer than the Nvidia 9400m chipset.

New CPU and a return to the Intel chipsets.

Took awhile to iron out bootcamp every chipset update, don't expect them to nail it as soon as the machines ship this time.

Someone posted the CPU and GPU temps, and they were climbing and crashing the machine under Windows ... might check those to see if they are high and require a fan control app to speed up the fans.

6. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

So, at this point, should I switch to Vista or are the drivers close enough that I should stay with 7?