Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hallowedclover

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2013
Hi Guys

First post!

Ordered my First iMac on the 7th Feb, eagerly awaiting delivery like others i'm sure.

Due to my budget I ordered the base model 2012 27 inch, the only change being the Fusion Drive.

2.9GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
8GB (two 4GB) memory
1TB Fusion
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M with 512MB

Bought this to replace an aging Dell PC, thought i'd take the plunge and get an iMac after playing around with one at a friends place. Its primary use will be when I work from home, internet, light gaming etc...

question is basically, should i want to play the odd steam game, how is the GTX 660m on games like Half life 2, portal 2, Left for dead etc... Can they run in full native res with all graphic options set to max and still have smooth gameplay? My aging dell is a core 2 duo, 2.6 ghz, 4 GB RAM, 896MB GTX260 and all my steam games play great but my monitor's native res is 1650 x 1050.

any base model 27 inch iMac owners out there that can comment that would be great. Thanks

Adam22

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2012
Hi Guys

First post!

Ordered my First iMac on the 7th Feb, eagerly awaiting delivery like others i'm sure.

Due to my budget I ordered the base model 2012 27 inch, the only change being the Fusion Drive.

2.9GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
8GB (two 4GB) memory
1TB Fusion
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M with 512MB

Bought this to replace an aging Dell PC, thought i'd take the plunge and get an iMac after playing around with one at a friends place. Its primary use will be when I work from home, internet, light gaming etc...

question is basically, should i want to play the odd steam game, how is the GTX 660m on games like Half life 2, portal 2, Left for dead etc... Can they run in full native res with all graphic options set to max and still have smooth gameplay? My aging dell is a core 2 duo, 2.6 ghz, 4 GB RAM, 896MB GTX260 and all my steam games play great but my monitor's native res is 1650 x 1050.

any base model 27 inch iMac owners out there that can comment that would be great. Thanks

Did u get it?

Hallowedclover

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2013
No not yet! Probably in 2 weeks. Still processing! Seems that if your in the uk, the wait time is generally longer than say the US. It'll get here eventually.

Imaginethe

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2012
UK
I've not played anything too taxing. Just some FTL, Football Manager, and Civ 5 so far, which will be the most taxing. I don't have everything maxed out, but it plays with no issue at all.

I also ran Cinebench and got a score of 39.96fps for the gpu. So it's certainly not rubbish. I will get Portal 2, and don't imagine any issues. More Vram would have been nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.