Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LavenderCaptain

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2009
So after waiting an entire month on a repair on my original 27" iMac that was yellowed, Apple decided to break me off a brand new machine, claiming that the issues were resolved.

Serial number: W80072YZ5RU
Name: iMac Intel (mid 2009-i7)
ModelCode: imac_mid_09
CPU speed: 2.8GHz
Screen size: 27 inch
Screen resolution: 2560x1440 pixels
Factory: W8 (Shanghai China)
Production year: 2010
Production week: 07 (February)
Production number: 3433 (within this week)

Look at the attachment and tell me this is acceptable for a $2400 computer...

Don't know what to do at this point - refund, I guess. Good thing I can just bring all my stuff back over to my G5 using Time Machine after migrating to 10.6... What's that? I can't because of the whole intel thing? Great! :mad:

Attachments

• IMG_4319 - compressed.jpg
    IMG_4319 - compressed.jpg
    1,000.4 KB · Views: 1,351

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
you know that nasty undershirt everyone has with the yellow pit stains...thats what your screen looks like :p :D

09iMac=Fail

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2009
Nothing wrong with that, must just be the lighting conditions in your room. Try changing your light bulbs. :) :rolleyes:

bobdard

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2008
Wow that's terrible! Too bad you're getting the i7, otherwise you could have just went into the store, purchased one, opened it and tested it, if not good, continue doing so until you land a good one.

Honestly, I know the number of people having issues with 27-inch iMacs is small compared to the number people purchasing one (I myself have had 2 out of 2 perfect machines) but this is unacceptable for a premium computer. I love Apple and all of it's products, I own almost every product category they make, but this is unacceptable. Months into production, and still a significant number (I'm not saying percentage, but number) of machines still have issues. And the whole argument of Apple machines aren't premium because they're almost as cheap as PCs doesn't cut it; it's still an expensive piece of hardware.

avihappy

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
Assuming that is how the screen looks in real life (and that this photo doesn't have the saturation turned up or something), I would not only get a refund immediately, but I would give up on Apple and just go build a PC!!

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
Well, I guess this means it hasn't been fixed! Apple really needs to fix these QC issues, or else their bad press is just going to continue to increase.

finnrose

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2010
Lord! I am now terrified to have the same issues. Honestly, if I even get this once, I am sending it back and just getting a PC. They obviously have no intention of fixing it or even stopping the effected ones from leaving the factory. If this is suppose to be "the" computer for creative professionals, they really have a lot to learn. Monitor color is probably the single most important thing for my work and any color irregularity is unacceptable. And honestly, I don't give a $h*t if they don't consider it a premium computer becasue it's close in price to PC. $3000 is a premium amount of money to me, and for that I expect a perfect product.

unamused

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2009
asldkjgakljhsdt

Ive been itching to switch over to a mac since the new imacs were announced.. then i read about the yellowing issues so i figured id wait until that got settled... after the "new" panels started being introduced i got all excited but figured id wait for some people to chime in with new *fixed* imacs....

now im just disappointed.

CXsjr

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2007
Scotland, UK
$3000 is a premium amount of money to me, and for that I expect a perfect product.

Exactly! My sentiments entirely!

I ordered my i7 last weekend (expected shipment is March 6th) as I had heard that the screen problems were sorted .... I guess that referred only to the flickering?

I'm crapping myself now as I'm unfortunately one of those people who is plagued by duff products - if there are 100 boxes on a shelf and only one contains a faulty product, guess who gets it??

Only last week I spent £1,700 on a new 70-200 Nikon lens - it went back yesterday for a refund due to Nikons own 'production issues'!

I now await the arrival of the my i7 with some trepidation ....

MMM.PWR

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Milwaukee
Not ALL iMacs are faulty. At least not yellow-wise. A lot are, and a lot are not. I've had both. It sucks, but at least Apple is helping out with the exchanging. For whoever is on their 2nd or 3rd, 4th, 5th machine: I would return it and wait until the summer and see how things are. Unless you really need it right now.

pmac5150

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2010
Midwest
WOW - that screen looks horrible! If you haven't been on the phone with Apple by now, do so. Now I'm worried that my week 7 machine, with a much earlier build number that is just now being shipped, will look worse than the week 5 machine it will be replacing.

MMM.PWR

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Milwaukee
WOW - that screen looks horrible! If you haven't been on the phone with Apple by now, do so. Now I'm worried that my week 7 machine, with a much earlier build number that is just now being shipped, will look worse than the week 5 machine it will be replacing.

You shouldn't be concerned about your week 7 just because the OP received a bad week 7. It's safe to say by now that these issues are random, not consistent.

roguepink

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2010
St. Louis, MO
I would not use a LCD screen for color matching. LCD's are flawed by their very concept. For really proper matching, a CRT is the only 100% reliable choice.

But for $2000, it needs to look better than that.

I was going to pick up a 27" i5 this week because I won't use Windows and the i5 is the processor that will do what I need. I can't say I'm too thrilled at this point. I would get a Mac Pro (the 27" iMac is NOT the end-all of the Mac product line!) but I can't get the hardware I want for the price of the iMac. As an adult returning college student, I do have a budget to consider.

ledzeppelin

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2010
asldkjgakljhsdt

Ive been itching to switch over to a mac since the new imacs were announced.. then i read about the yellowing issues so i figured id wait until that got settled... after the "new" panels started being introduced i got all excited but figured id wait for some people to chime in with new *fixed* imacs....

now im just disappointed.

"same, same for me"
I keep hoping that finally people start reporting the fix is in, but no not yet. Too bad for me because I will not be waiting forever but I know I sure want to go Apple this computer purchase since another member of the household switched over and wants me to start learning about the Apple way.

"led"

AngryApple

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2008
All the affected people of this issue should get together and get back at Apple. Hmmmm. Erm how about we all go on Apple.com at the same time and rapidly refresh to overload their servers and make them catch on fire!? Or put tampons and other feminine products all over Steve Jobs' car?
:cool:
okay okay not such a good idea. But it still sucks that people are paying $2500 and getting this. I want to buy one of these i7 sexy babes but my PC loving grandfather will harass me to no end if it isn't perfect. I also don't feel like putting up with this crap. My iPod touch can do almost everything I need it to so it's not like I need a new machine.

MMM.PWR

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Milwaukee
If you can do everything you need to do on your iPod Touch then you really are in no rush to pick one up.

/off topic

By the way, I keep seeing people saying they want to switch to Apple but are not sure blah blah blah. Apple does make other computers besides the new iMacs. :p

tucker3434

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2009
So after waiting an entire month on a repair on my original 27" iMac that was yellowed, Apple decided to break me off a brand new machine, claiming that the issues were resolved.

Serial number: W80072YZ5RU
Name: iMac Intel (mid 2009-i7)
ModelCode: imac_mid_09
CPU speed: 2.8GHz
Screen size: 27 inch
Screen resolution: 2560x1440 pixels
Factory: W8 (Shanghai China)
Production year: 2010
Production week: 07 (February)
Production number: 3433 (within this week)

Look at the attachment and tell me this is acceptable for a $2400 computer...

Don't know what to do at this point - refund, I guess. Good thing I can just bring all my stuff back over to my G5 using Time Machine after migrating to 10.6... What's that? I can't because of the whole intel thing? Great! :mad:

That sucks man. I've had 3 now. None were yellowed. The first two flickered. I finally got one that seems to be perfect. I hope you have the same luck... ha, I guess.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
If you can do everything you need to do on your iPod Touch then you really are in no rush to pick one up.

/off topic

By the way, I keep seeing people saying they want to switch to Apple but are not sure blah blah blah. Apple does make other computers besides the new iMacs. :p

but then you have to pay $2000 for a C2D laptop. you can get a dell with the same specs for $600

finnrose

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2010

/off topic

The other iMacs are too slow and MacBook Pros don't have enough harddrive space. Plus, for the spec to even be close to the iMac with a MBP it would cost nearly $1500 more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.