27" iMac intermittent power on failure.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sloter, Sep 8, 2014.

1. sloter macrumors newbie

Hi, I have an iMac 27” I7 that is just over 3 years old. I did have the extended applecare but like I said it’s a couple of months outside the warranty and Apple are not interested, I guess they have to draw the line somewhere.

So the problem is that occasionally my iMac will not power on at all no matter what I try no fan noise no bleeps nothing but if I unplug it for a few hours then try it it’ll work fine. I do and always have tended to leave the mac on but in sleep mode as opposed to shutting it down all the time. I first noticed this problem after I’d had a power cut and it appears to be every time that the power has gone off without safely shutting down the box.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this at all?

Thanks

2. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Ran into a couple that had a bad power button. Both would boot after cycling the power cable 1 or more times, but it was never constant pattern of one thing to make them boot.

3. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

This could also be a dodgy power supply, in either case I'd take it to an AASP to be professionally diagnosed.

4. sloter thread starter macrumors newbie

If it's the power button is there a way of repairing it?

Thanks

5. Kyle-K, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014

Kyle-K macrumors regular

Kyle-K

Yes but it would most likely involve you disassembling it. One thing you could try beforehand is shutting down your iMac and unplugging it then with a little bit more force than you normally use to power it on hold in the power button and move it left-to-right giving a little bit of a wiggle.

Also found this: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1501328