Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iigsie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
Hi,

I have an iMac 27" late 2009 that has a damaged display connector, the part that is soldered to the logic board and that the cable from the display panel connects to.

It works fine when connected to an external monitor.

Replacing the connector with another part isn't a problem, but sourcing the part does appear to be. Does anyone have any idea where I might source one from or failing that if any of the other models have the same connector?

A new logic board comes in at a ridiculous price.

Thanks,

wingzero1285

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2010
Wondering the same thing. I had recently re soldered mine back together but now the connector is totally shot. The pins are trashed and soldering them back to the pads on the logicboard is now next to impossible. If I can't fix this I think I may sell the machine.

wingzero1285

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2010
Any ideas on this part? It seems pretty hard to come by. If I could find one soldering it down to the pads on the logic board would take 5 minutes or less and I can be back up and running

wingzero1285

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2010
Tonight after work I will be attempting the following:

Soldering more wire to extend the flat ribbon cable longer, then soldering that wire down to the board's pads. The toughest part will be stripping and soldering wire to the existing display wire. I will try and take pictures!

wingzero1285

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2010
In case anyone has been following this the attempt to solder did not work out well. I plan on selling this machine either all together or piece by piece. Hackintosh time with the cash. :eek:

wingzero1285

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2010
Upon further investigation I've found more information on this connector. It is a JAE FI-X30SSLB-HF. I've emailed JAE about availability. I'm currently researching a seller for this piece.

wingzero1285

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2010
Update. It seems this connector goes for about $12 or so. It also appears apple may have had a "B" added to the model number to throw us off (like they do on so many OEM parts, changing model numbers or adding characters). I've been looking at my bust connector and this spec sheet http://jae-connector.com/en/pdf/SJ038319.pdf for awhile now and I think I am going to order the "FI-x30SSL-HF".... the model stamped onto the one out of the mac is "FI-x30SSLB-HF". There was not much information on the B model on JAE's website. For the $12 or so, its worth a shot at this point.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
Oops, just pulled most of the pins out of the display connector too. The cable is very short so this is easy to do. Any luck with connector replacement or am I doomed to use an external monitor? Can the pins be coaxed back in?

Damn, this sucks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.