27" iMac, Mid-2010 IR Receiver not responding...hardware or software issue?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by neoelectronaut, Jul 28, 2013.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

So the IR receiver on my iMac isn't working. I've got a handful of Apple remotes, and none of them seem to work with my iMac.

It's worked in the past, but come to think of it, I haven't used a remote since my iMac's Hard Drive was replaced under the recent Seagate recall. Is it possible that Apple disconnected the IR receiver or otherwise damaged it during that repair?

Alternatively, it could just be something on the OS side of things. How can I check if it's working?

2. KattDaDon macrumors 6502

Did you trying going to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Advanced... to check if there's a check mark on Disable remote control infrared receiver

3. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

There is no such option to be checked.

4. KattDaDon macrumors 6502

Obviously there is. Google it or YouTube it and see for yourself. I'm not sure what OS version your running but on Mavericks it's buried under System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Advanced... On other OS versions of OS X I think it's the same or different but still in Security & Privacy menu of System Preferences. I was on ML before Mavericks and I remember it was located in Security & Privacy menu but can't remember where exactly in that menu is it located but Google it

5. KattDaDon macrumors 6502

See below where it's located on Mavericks but I think it's located in the same location on Mountain Lion and other OS but Google or YouTube it though

6. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

This is what I'm seeing.

Attached Files:

7. KattDaDon macrumors 6502

What OS version are you on?

8. KattDaDon macrumors 6502

Are you on Snow Leopard cause I think it should be in the General section of Security & Privacy settings of System Preferences but on Lion, Mountain Lion and Mavericks it's buried in the Advanced... section in Security & Privacy settings

9. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

10. KattDaDon macrumors 6502

That's strange. Your on Mountain Lion then it should be in the Advanced... section in Security & Privacy settings. I would contact Apple Tech support or hit the Apple Support Communities to get to the bottom of this.

11. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

Ugh, I was afraid of this. This thing isn't exactly a joy to drag into The Apple Store and my Applecare is up on top of that.

12. KattDaDon macrumors 6502

Oh... Well I don't know and out of solutions. I think you can get a solution to this in the Apple Support Communities forums https://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa

13. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

I think it's just busted, unfortunately. I'll just hope whomever my iMac goes to in the future doesn't even know that there's an IR sensor in there.

14. sprale macrumors member

Used to be in my wife's advanced settings on her MBP before a recent update to 10.9.5, now the option to disable is simply missing.