27' iMac mirroring with Apple TV resolution?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by cliptheapex, Nov 12, 2014.

1. cliptheapex, Nov 12, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2014

cliptheapex macrumors newbie

If I mirror my 27 iMac to my 50' Panasonic st50 will the resolution be 1080p?
    So I won't have the same desktop space as I have using the iMac with its original screen?

Also, is gaming a valid option through the airplay mirroring?
    I've tried using plex, and I can connect my TV to the server no problem, with no lag at all playing a movie. The TV is plugged through ethernet to the router, and my iMac is connected through wi-fi, in the same room as the router and TV.

2. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Your AppleTV only does a max of 1080P output, so really even if you pumped 1440P into the AppleTV, you are going to lose a lot of detail. From a gaming standpoint, no. There's a bit of lag (it's gotten better, but it certainly isn't perfect).

3. cynics macrumors G3

Depends on the game. A FPS would be tough although I can play ESO surprisingly well over AirPlay mirroring.

4. jdphoto macrumors 6502

jdphoto

I'd make sure to have wireless AC if possible, that'll give you a fighting chance. I'm surprised as well with the lack of lag on Airplay (though I don't game) it's a lot better than I remember it being early on.

5. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

I've mirrored web based video content from catch up streams without any lag at all.