27" Imac or 15" mbp?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by M1Lance, Oct 24, 2015.

1. M1Lance macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I originally posted this in the buyers advice forum but it hasn't received a response.

I have a mid-2011 IMac that I use as my main computer, but it's been having serious graphics issues since I upgraded to Yosemite last year and needs to be replaced. Currently debating between getting the new 27"5K IMac or a 15" rMBP. My main uses are going to be internet browsing (emails, youtube, itunes) some gaming (mainly hearthstone and starcraft 2), and work from home using citrix. The main things I want in my new computer are a high resolution display, flash storage, and a discrete graphics card.

I can't decide between the top 15" rMBP or the midrange 27" IMac with a 2tb fusion drive (1tb would be enough space for me but just 24gb of flash storage is very unappealing). I have an ipad and an older 13" macbook (upgraded with 8gb of ram and 250gb SSD) that I mostly use for working on the go so I won't really need portability but it would be nice. The pros of going with the Imac are that it would be a little bit cheaper ($140), have a bigger and better screen, and a better processor/graphics. The rMBP's pros are the increased portability around the house(I just bought a 65" samsung 4k tv which I could output it to), more ram, and a pure SSD (512gb is just enough for me).

Any advice would be much appreciated!

2. 3587 macrumors 6502a

I just went from a fully loaded 2015 rMBP 15" to a fully loaded iMac 5K. I have an iPhone and iPad for portability... I wanted a larger retina display and something faster all around... That's why I'm switching.