27" iMac or Mac Mini w/BYODKM

Discussion in 'iMac' started by CAWjr, Mar 12, 2015.

1. CAWjr macrumors 6502

CAWjr

My 2007 MBP that I have been using as a desktop forever has reached it's end life. It can no longer operate as a primary machine efficiently, even when scaled back to bare bones. I am going to retire it to some other kind of side use, but I need to replace it with something new. I am not looking for a power machine & I do not need a laptop (I already have an Air as my "away from home" portable mac. I'm looking for something that can do internet, basic office work, photo/music/video management (with light editing), and some occasional web development work. Basically, I want something that can do more than a basic user would need, but less than someone who would consider a Mac Pro. Plus, something that will be about as future-proof as you can get (knowing that nothing is really "future-proof").

Last year, I was planning to do a Mac Mini setup with BYODKM & get a pretty sweet monitor (or two) for it, but when they released the new Minis last year I was just as disappointed as everyone else to see that they actually took a giant step backwards from the 2012 models. The advantage of the Mini is that it's not all in one & if the monitor dies, I can just replace it. If the Mini has an issue, I don't have to bring in my monitor. Typical non all-in-one stuff. Plus, the setup is cheaper overall.

The iMac is cleaner and more powerful. It comes with everything I need in one box. No need to go out & get a new keyboard, mouse, & monitor. But that also means it costs more, and if one thing breaks, the whole thing has to go in for repair.

So, what would you do? Seems that there are good & bad sides to both setups, but neither one would really be a wrong decision.

2. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

I would suggest getting the iMac and budget in AppleCare in case something goes wrong in the first 3 years.

The standard 27" models are nice with either Fusion or SSD drive. If you have the cash, the Retina iMacs are also worth a look.

3. CAWjr thread starter macrumors 6502

CAWjr

Are there any known issues in the current 27" models that would necessitate AppleCare? Since they are not upgradable down the road I was planning to max out on RAM and go with the fusion or SSD hard drive as well.

And the retina is not in the running for me. I don't need a screen with that kind of resolution, nor do I want to pay the extra upcharge for it.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

All 27" models have upgradeable RAM.

So far there aren't any known issues with the current crop of 27" models.

I didn't need a 5K screen either, but after having used rMBPs since 2012, I couldn't go back to a non-retina screen.

5. CAWjr thread starter macrumors 6502

CAWjr

I did not realize that! I was under the impression that you could not upgrade. Well, that just put the base 27" at the front since I can upgrade the RAM later down the line & for a lot less than what I would need to pay Apple for it.

6. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

All 27" iMacs have upgradeable RAM, you may be thinking of the 21.5" iMacs which (since 2012) have not had upgradeable RAM. Technically the 21.5" 2012's have the ability however it mean MAJOR surgery and cancellation of the warranty. All 21.5" iMacs made since 2013 use soldered RAM, therefore making those model unable to be upgraded.

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

The 2013 21.5" iMacs do not have soldered RAM. Only the 1.4GHz iMac has soldered RAM.

8. Meister Suspended

Meister

The whole ram soldering scheme is one of the worst rip-offs in computer history.