27" iMac, or Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Heids, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Heids macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Long time lurker, and mac user. I need to pick your collective brains and expertise to help me make a good decision for my next purchase.

At the start of May I will have a budget of approximately USD$4000 to spend on a new Apple machine.

The machine will be primarily used for gaming, specifically Second Life - and also used for making machinima within Second Life. this can be quite cpu and gpu intensive. Currently I use a 20" alu 2.4 iMac with 4 gig of ram. Machinima is film making within game engines - for an example - see here.

I will use my existing iMac for editing and post production, but need something beefy for actual filming.

I've been lusting over the i7 iMac 27", and with the prices of ram going down , it's cheaper to buy from Apple, so I would max out the RAM.

We don't know how long til a refresh for the Mac Pro's, but I'd certainly think seriously about going for one of their top end line and then perhaps tinkering further with the addition of a SSD and possibly a higher end graphics card.

I spose my question is ... the 4850, is it going to be beefy enough for me not just to run Second Life, at max but also to run iShowUHD or SnapzPro for capture.

Are there any Second Lifers out there who have a 27" i7 who can tell me how it is? I have spoken to a friend who has swears it is fabulous.

I'd like to get a new machine as soon as I can, and not wait on the Mac Pro refresh. But if the iMac isn't going to cut it for me, then I could wait - even though I have a very overdue project I am waiting to start!

Sorry for being so long winded, but it's a tricky (if lovely) problem to have.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would wait for Mac Pro refresh and then decide. Next Mac Pro can be a huge update, Gulftown, ATI 5xxx....