27" iMAC Or Macbook air

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ThisIsMe, May 31, 2012.

1. ThisIsMe macrumors regular

I have a 27" iMAC that I'm planing to exchange for a Macbook air. Reason being is because I would really like to have something portable to work with and maybe later on buy a 27" thunderbolt display.

Do you guys think the Macbook air will hold up good for video editing I mainly use screenflow and sometimes FinalCut pro. I will be working with HD footage from my Dslr. I would like to hear your thoughts on this matter.

2. mso-m4c macrumors newbie

If you are doing any video editing I think dedicated GPU on the iMac will make a ton of difference compared with integrated GPU on Air. Also, storage might be the issue so you would probably need external drive with MBA.

3. bryno92 macrumors newbie

I would try to get a 15in MacBook Pro. That would be better than the integrated graphics on the Air. If you can't do that, then I would keep the iMac and save up for a notebook later on. No point in buying a $1000 display when you can pay a little bit more for an actual computer.

4. RedCroissant Suspended

I would recommend getting a MBP instead of the MBA. It's more upgradeable and expandable than the MBA. Also, can't you use your iMac as display for another device?

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I find this a little silly. The macbook air is not as fast unless you're under-utilizing the current machine. Now it's possible that it would work, but you're definitely limited on overall computing resources. If they have Apple stores there, I'd suggest testing one in the store. They should have FCPX installed. Even the 13" Pro would be a better choice as you could get more ram, as it's not like you could store much in the way of big files locally on the Air.

6. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

Spend the few extra $$$ and get a MBP.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As much as I like the MBA, its not the right solution for this problem. The MBA is an ulta portable with an under powered CPU and GPU, its ram is not upgradeable and you have a dearth of ports.

If you want portability then get a MBP, either the 15" or 17". You'll get a better GPU and CPU then the MBA and have ports and upgradeability.

If portability is a nice to have, but isn't really needed then the 27" iMac is the best option