Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sam Spade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2007
Those of you who currently have the 27" iMac, would you prefer to drop down to a 24" unit, should Apple start making them again?

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
I just got an used 27" and yes it's a monster, Safari on full screen I've got to hunt for the cursor. The 27" IPS screen is a thing of beauty though.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I just got an used 27" and yes it's a monster, Safari on full screen I've got to hunt for the cursor. The 27" IPS screen is a thing of beauty though.

But why would you ever run Safari full screen? The benefit of such a big monitor is to have apps side by side. And no web site is going to take advantage of the whole width of that monitor.

I had a 24" for years (with a second 24" monitor on it), and just sold it the other day when I ordered a 27". We have 27" cinema displays at work to go with our MBP's and I love it. The bigger the better.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Ahhh this again :D. 27" panels are about the price that 24" panels were at before. Apple also likes uniformity within their line. I would wager that as long as the thunderbolt display stays at 27", the imac will not change sizes at its upper end. The other consideration here is that Apple may not be able to use the same cpu/gpu components in a 24" without other compromises. These things generate a lot of heat. The 27" already gets hot enough. If they dropped its size there simply might not be adequate room for component spacing.

Personally I wish the imac would go away entirely. For many people unless ram is a major concern, it can actually be easier to simply plug a laptop into an external display than own an imac + laptop. We're getting to a point where it can make a lot of sense for anyone who doesn't deal with large files that demand more ram than the laptop can accommodate. Laugh now but the mac pro is a more functional desktop concept. They just charge too much for it on the low end. With the imac we're getting closer and closer to the point where if you own an imac + macbook pro, the imac may eventually not be replaced in your repurchasing cycle.

Kenjhee

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2011
I've had the 27" for several months now, and it still feels slightly too big. I still prefer it over the 21.5 however. A 24" would be perfect for me.

Realize I'm somewhat older, eyes a little tired, and attitude defintely set in my ways. :D

Djay1

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2011
Middle Tennessee
No I wouldn't. Everyone's needs vary but, in my case, photo editing is a joy with the added screen space. An occasional HD movie preview on the 27' screen is also a nice luxury.

So, I'm way too spoiled to downsize.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Those of you who currently have the 27" iMac, would you prefer to drop down to a 24" unit, should Apple start making them again?

No, but I would think about buying a 30" or larger version, preferably with an 8-core CPU and two large built-in hard disks. And it still has to be noiseless.

----------

Apple also likes uniformity within their line.

Yes, and that's probably the real translation of their "Think Different" slogan...

iHutch105

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2011
Absolutely not. 27" is perfect for me. I think I'd miss the real estate if I dropped down to 24".

Borntorun

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2011
Perth, Australia
I do loads of video and photo editing. In fact, I have a seperate 23" earlier generation cinema screen as secondary monitor to my 27" iMac.

The more real estate, the better.

Now, how about a 27" retina display? Or am I dreaming?

Tombs

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
Sutton, Surrey England
But why would you ever run Safari full screen? The benefit of such a big monitor is to have apps side by side. And no web site is going to take advantage of the whole width of that monitor.

I had a 24" for years (with a second 24" monitor on it), and just sold it the other day when I ordered a 27". We have 27" cinema displays at work to go with our MBP's and I love it. The bigger the better.

And if they made the "snap" feature a standard in Lion I'd be totally 100% won over, its so useful in Win 7 and on a 27" screen just makes sense to have.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
And if they made the "snap" feature a standard in Lion I'd be totally 100% won over, its so useful in Win 7 and on a 27" screen just makes sense to have.

+1 I always wondered why Apple didn't grab that one with so much screen RE available on the iMac.

Cheers,

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
What is the "snap" feature?

If you drag a window to the left side of the screen, it automatically extends to take up exactly half of the screen. Same with the right. If you drag something to the top it maximized, pull it down and it goes back to normal size, etc. Standard Windows 7 feature.

...and also possible on OSX with BetterTouchTool, which I use. It's awesome.

arthursk

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2009
I think the issue with the 27" the resolution is too high at this point and time. Nothing is really built for this resolution so a lot of stuff is really way too small for the 27".

Having owned the 24 & now 27 I do love the 27" for some obvious scenarios, but the resolution is too high, type, websites too small. Clearly you can zoom in or resize, but when something is designed for a 1280px monitor its going to look awful upscaled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.