27" iMac retina display

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Snaganaga, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Snaganaga macrumors newbie

Snaganaga

I am going to order this and I want to have it for a long time. I don't want to have it slow down, where I can't use it, in 4-5 years. Do you think the 2 GB Video memory will do the trick or should I just get the 4 GB? Called Apple and they said you cannot upgrade this later. I am also getting 16 GB memory, 3.4 GHz and 1 TB fusion drive.
    I have been on this site for a while and this is my first post. I will be using the computer for home video editing with a the new GoPro Hero 4 black. Maybe some more video work down the road. I appreciate your help and any feedback.
    Thanks

2. ssls6 macrumors 6502a

ssls6

My advice.....skip the fusion, skip the extra video memory, add as much ssd as you can.

3. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Since you will be unable to upgrade the ram later, just max out everything and you will be set for a while. Just put additional $$$ aside to pay for the higher costs.

4. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I assume you mean VRAM which is soldered next to the GPU on the logic board. Regular RAM can be upgraded at any time.

Yes, the GPU upgrade is a must have if you need your machine to be future proof.

5. Col Vandal macrumors member

Save the money from RAM and go with the 8GB Apple provides. You can add additional RAM for way less money and no hassle at all. I think the verdict is still unclear about the video card options at this point. I'm having issues with the base model and Photoshop at this point, but we're still troubleshooting.

I like the Fusion drive myself. If you're not a "pro" user, I don't see that the SSD benefit is great enough to warrant the high price tag.

But if it's in your budget, max it out with the i7 and the 4GB GPU.

6. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I prefer an SSD with external storage. Since a 256 GB SSD equals a 1 TB Fusion in cost I'd go for the SSD. Also if an external HDD fails after warranty I won't have to open up my machine to replace it.

7. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

As someone who has had the base model and now has one with the upgraded GPU I would strongly advise against skipping the upgraded GPU option.

Going from the m290x to the m295x the difference is night and day even in general use with having a few windows open. With the m290x there is a lot of very noticeable lag in the UI. Having the m295x fixes all of that.

Hopefully Apple fixes the issues with the m290x but right now paying the little bit extra for the upgraded GPU is worth it over every other option.

8. Col Vandal macrumors member

Tell me about it, lol.

9. Kayan macrumors 6502

If it were me, I would not upgrade to 16 GB of RAM, and instead, upgrade everything else. The RAM is easy to upgrade later when you have more money and when your computer gets too slow, but nothing else is as easy of an upgrade. Also, by that time, hopefully RAM price will have fallen.

10. Snaganaga thread starter macrumors newbie

Snaganaga

Thanks

Swet thanks.

----------

Sweet. Thanks.

11. mgb1120 macrumors 6502

I got 256gb ssd over the 1tb fusion drive, thinking I should have got the 512gb ssd I don't know :-/ don't want to cancel and re order

I did the i7, 295X, 256gb ssd on order

12. Snaganaga thread starter macrumors newbie

Snaganaga

Does ssd have a longer shelf life than fusion or hard drives? Thanks for the comment

13. redheeler, Nov 16, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2014

redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Yes. In an iMac with Fusion drive the HDD is the component most likely to fail. The SSD will likely outlast other components in the machine.
    I forgot to mention that it obviously depends on how much either drive is used to read/write data. This is just a typical usage case.

14. ssls6 macrumors 6502a

ssls6

If the extra video memory (Vram) also comes with an upgraded GPU, then I would get the upgraded GPU. An iMac needs the best GPU you can throw at it.

The SSD will outlast the HDD and do better inside the hot case of the iMac. HDDs are great if you can easily get to them like an external drive.

People with older iMacs will pretty much agree that SSDs have done more to keep those machines relevant than just adding extra ram. So much of what we do is actually IO bound.

15. Serban Suspended

i have the i7, 295x, 16 gb ram and with 512 SSD.
    the screen is perfect..no bleed no dead pixels no lag

16. fathergll macrumors 6502a

Really?

Curious was the only thing different at all was the upgraded GPU? Meaning do you now have a i5, m295x, 1TB Fusion setup