Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

insane79

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
Hi Guys,
I got a late 2012 27" iMac & i use airplay to stream movies on my apple tv, the thing is the iMac display is always on with airplay even if i lower the brightness completely :confused: is there a way to switch of the iMac screen during airplay?

Thanks..

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
I am almost certain but I think this is by design. I believe airplay only offers mirroring - so if the display on the source device is off, then nothing is mirrored.

At least this is the case when I first used airplay on my iMac. I moved the mouse to the hot corner that controls the display and when the display turned off, nothing played on my apple tv.

Dimming the display all the way has been the best solution I can think of.

Hopes this helps!

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
From what I found there is no stock way to turn the display off while airplaying.

insane79

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
dimming the display helps little bit, another way is to use extended display & run the player on the tv only but well even with lowest brightness the iMac display isn;t fully dim :(

Thanks..

eddieaus

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2009
i just don't understand why we can't turn off the LED light on the screen at all. i mean we can do this on Macbook Pro/Air, why is iMac screen so special?

insane79

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
i just don't understand why we can't turn off the LED light on the screen at all. i mean we can do this on Macbook Pro/Air, why is iMac screen so special?

yes its very frustrating, even on lowest brightness level the screen isn't completely blank :confused:

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Make an interactive corner in system prefs to get the display into sleep. After starting the movie just put your mouse in that corner, display goes to sleep and airplay still works!

insane79

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
Make an interactive corner in system prefs to get the display into sleep. After starting the movie just put your mouse in that corner, display goes to sleep and airplay still works!

tried it, both displays goes to sleep & even airplay video.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
How do you airplay the movie? Because when I watch a movie through airplay my iMac's screen stays in sleep mode. I wake up my iMac, put the mouse in an corner so that the monitor goes to sleep and with the AppleTV I select the movie.

insane79

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
How do you airplay the movie? Because when I watch a movie through airplay my iMac's screen stays in sleep mode. I wake up my iMac, put the mouse in an corner so that the monitor goes to sleep and with the AppleTV I select the movie.

do you use airplay extended desktop? would be great if you go explain how to do it.

Thanks..

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
do you use airplay extended desktop? would be great if you go explain how to do it.

Thanks..

It sounds like you're using Airplay up by the clock, right? You're sharing the computer's screen and then playing the movie?

Yeah, don't do that.

Share the video from the app itself. Like, if it's in iTunes there's an Airplay icon on the play/pause bar. Use that and then when the iMac puts its screen to sleep iTunes will keep right on playing underneath.

Then, as Dreadnought said, set up hot corners so you can put the display to sleep. You have to use 'Display Sleep' though, and not regular sleep. (This means you can't use 'Sleep' from the Apple Menu either since that fully shuts everything off.)

insane79

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
It sounds like you're using Airplay up by the clock, right? You're sharing the computer's screen and then playing the movie?

Yeah, don't do that.

Share the video from the app itself. Like, if it's in iTunes there's an Airplay icon on the play/pause bar. Use that and then when the iMac puts its screen to sleep iTunes will keep right on playing underneath.

Then, as Dreadnought said, set up hot corners so you can put the display to sleep. You have to use 'Display Sleep' though, and not regular sleep. (This means you can't use 'Sleep' from the Apple Menu either since that fully shuts everything off.)
thanks for the explanation, will try that, the thing is i watch blur ays from a 3rd party app(Macgo Blu-ray player) unfortunately they don't have air play in the app itself, WISH apple supported blu ray but will definitely give this a try for other movie formats.

Thanks..

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

Yeah, don't do that.

I believe (and could be wrong) iTunes is the only thing that really supports this. And if you are using iTunes you might as well just stream your iTunes from the ATV and not even mess with the Mac at all.

All else on the Mac requires airplay mirror (icon in the upper right).

Bils42

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2015
workaround

I have this same problem and found a workaround.

To turn off the iMac display (with apple TV set as an extended display) I created a black gif file that is the same size as my 21" iMac (1920 x 1080px) When I want to 'turn off' the display I just open this file in preview and set it to full screen. The screen isn't actually off but it's black and this serves the same purpose.

insane79

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
I have this same problem and found a workaround.

To turn off the iMac display (with apple TV set as an extended display) I created a black gif file that is the same size as my 21" iMac (1920 x 1080px) When I want to 'turn off' the display I just open this file in preview and set it to full screen. The screen isn't actually off but it's black and this serves the same purpose.

Yes i do the same, its lame apple hasn't fixed this issue yet..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.