27" iMac Screen flush - OCD issue

Discussion in 'iMac' started by insimbi, Nov 1, 2013.

1. insimbi macrumors 6502

insimbi

Love my new 27" iMac, but noticed that the glass along the bottom that sits on the aluminum ledge is flush with the aluminum in some areas (the middle) and then is a bit set back and there is a tiny lip of the aluminum that you can feel with your fingernail. Probably just me, but wondered if anyone else has noticed this on their 27" iMac.
    I don't think the 21" suffers from this as much as the glass panel is smaller and less likely to not have the fault tolerance issues as the 27"

2. insimbi thread starter macrumors 6502

insimbi

^bump
    Anyone? I'm talking about the aluminum chin at the bottom that holds the glass on. Is yours flush all the way across from left to right? I have a little lip on the right side that sticks out a bit further. Just wondered if this was common or normal?

3. RoryO macrumors member

I didn't notice anything along the front of the aluminium on mine (now returned), but then I didn't actively look for it. However I did run my fingers down the sides and noticed that the glass wasn't perfectly central. so you could feel a sharp edge on the right hand side of the aluminium and a slight over hang of the glass on the left hand side. Noticed the same on another 27inch in the store yesterday as well. I returned mine for other reasons by the way. I was happy to live with the tiny misalignment as I don't spend all day running my fingers down the side of my PC !!! (just part of the day :) ) and you couldn't really see it by eye from a normal distance.

4. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

So, that was probably the first and the last time that I will run my fingers up and down my 21" iMac. There are areas where the glass is flush, others where the glass appears to be slightly proud of the aluminium and others where it is the other way round. Can't say that it bothers me one iota.

5. Redsand187 macrumors member

Mine is like that, it's very minor. But I did remove the front panel to install a SSD. I figured I didn't get it perfectly placed before the tape really stuck. It's very minor, but it isn't perfectly flush the across the whole bottom.

The older style where magnets hold the glass on seemed to do a better job, at keeping everything flush.