27" iMac SSD+HDD Partitioning

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by daibido1123, Nov 16, 2011.

1. daibido1123 macrumors newbie

daibido1123

Hi all I'm still a little new to this Bootcamp stuff, so forgive my Noobish level of understanding. I'm looking to install Windows 7 Ultimate edition 64-Bit on my iMac 27" I have the 256GB SSD plus the 2TB HDD.

Here is where I am running into confusion on what to do. I want to make a partition on both the SSD and the HDD for the windows side, I want to partition both drives 50/50 so I have 128GB on each side of the SSD and 1TB on each side of the HDD. So that way I have room on both sides to install programs, store files, and on the windows side; have room on the HDD for Games and large files.

So my question is, how would I do such partitioning?

2. justaregularjoe macrumors 6502

One question: Do both disks currently have data on them that you do not have backed up? Are you comfortable wiping everything and starting with blanks hard drives?

I only ask to see if you can use the easier route. If you do not want to lose the files on the SSD, there is another way, using the Bootcamp Assistant.

3. daibido1123 thread starter macrumors newbie

daibido1123

There is nothing on the HDD, the system is new out of the box, I haven't done anything to it yet, I was waiting to get this info, before doing anything.

4. justaregularjoe macrumors 6502

Meh, Bootcamp Assistant will likely be easier.

1) Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility. Select your hard drive. Ensure that it is the 2 TB drive. Click the plus sign to add a second partition to the disk. Adjust to make the partitions even. Choose your preferred flavor of file system. (I recommend HFS+ for the Mac, NTFS or exFAT for the Windows.)

2) Applications > Utilities > Bootcamp Assistant. Follow the long, verbose instructions (it walks you through each step), just be sure to adjust the partition size to 50/50. This will both create a partition for the Windows install and do all the work for you.