Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dongiavongie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
Hi,
I am going to buy a 27" iMac soon and I am wondering if you guys could give me some advice about the SSD and i7. On the mac I will be doing a lot of programming and I will be running virtual machines. I have considered the mac pro, but it is out of my price range. I will be installing 12 or 16 GB of RAM after I buy the computer but I would like to know if you think the SSD or the i7 is worth having. I have no need for the extra storage space as I store a lot of my files/photos on my file server. I think that the SSD will be good for me because I usually open and close many many programs and on my old computer I am constantly waiting. I will not install the SSD myself because from what I can see, some people have problems with their computer afterward. While only a small number of people have had issues, I can't afford to mess this computer up because I will use it for work. I am able to buy both the SSD and the i7 but I don't know if it is worth it. Is the SSD actually worth $500, or should I get the i7 instead.

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
I have an SSD in my MBP and a i7, and i love it
I am speculating in getting an iMac, and i know i will get both in it.
The SSD gives a system whit so much speed in load times, never going to get a HHD for system again.
The i7 is just the cherry on top, need it no... but seems so much more ok with it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.