27" iMac SSD then 2 or 3tb later?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by TheiPodPerson, Sep 16, 2011.

1. TheiPodPerson macrumors newbie

Is it possible to either have a certified Apple technician or myself install a 2 or 3 tb hdd from say OWC or something legitimate be installed after the purchase? Or have a 2tb and then later get SSD?

Thanks

2. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

it really depends on the type of service provider, some arent allowed to install some 3rd party parts or make changes to certain configurations. but itd be best to ask them directly for a solid answer.

3. robgendreau macrumors 68030

VERY unlikely third parties will be able to swap the hard drive itself. OWC had to stop doing that on 2011 iMacs because of hardware changes. And it would cost a ton at Apple (saw a post where it cost a guy just over $400 for a new 1TB).

If you're going iMac (and frankly I'm hesitant now that I can't replace my own drives) get the biggest you can now.

SSDs are possible, I believe, and you can ship the machine to OWC to have them do it.

(and then hope you don't get unlucky and have a hard drive failure AND have Apple tell you your warranty's voided :eek:

4. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I went with a refurb 27" with only the SSD and just put my media on FW800 (since it's 3TB worth).

Doesn't seem to slow me down and hopefully once they ship TB external HDDs, life will really be nice.

5. qap macrumors 6502

qap

Do you know where is the SSD in the imac with SSD-only?! Is in the centre or near the optical drive?

Because on the SSD only iMac the Hard Drive fan spin like every other 'HDD' iMac, but is there nothing instead the HDD or is there the SSD instead the HDD?!

6. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

ssd only iMacs have the ssd in its normal spot behind the optical drive.
    there is nothing in the center/hdd area with SSD only, to keep the fans normal/not overkill they put a shorting cable on the back of the logic board where the HDD connector would normally go.

7. qap macrumors 6502

qap

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.1.15738/25.858; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Perfect, thanks!