27" iMac SSD upgrade video

Discussion in 'iMac' started by monaarts, Jun 29, 2011.

1. monaarts macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hey macrumors,

I ordered the cables and a Vertex 3 120gb today and they will be here friday morning... As it seems that no one has created a video showing others how to do the upgrade, I figures I'd be the first.

I wanted to know if there were any specific things you guys wanted me to record? I will be doing this upgrade on friday and will post it later that day or Saturday. Let me know what you wanna see before then.

I can't wait to have a blazing fast SSD in my iMac!! :)

- Jor

2. imahawki macrumors 6502a

I thought the consensus was that upgrading the hard drive would result in messing up the HD temp sensors resulting in the fans running full speed at all times. Was that disproven?

3. monaarts thread starter macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I should have said ADDING an SSD. that's what I'm doing.

4. dilgit macrumors regular

No way!! I installed a Crucial 256GB SSD M4 on my iMac as an addition to my 2TB HDD and both run quietly with no fan issues what so ever. After installing, I had the fan running non stop but that turned out to be due to the technician forgot to connect the ODD heat cable to the board. We opened up once again, connected the cord to the board and since than, I'm a happy owner of a blazing fast SSD on my iMac running smooth with no fan issues, no beach-balls, no hangups. I have 10.6.8 running + Windows 7 with Parallels. All OS and software installed on the SSD and my own data and files on the 2TB HDD.
    If you're into adding a SSD drive to your iMac? Go ahead and do it. It's an entirely new machine after the installation.