Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
The future consists of watching more TV movies and other media on a nice large computer screen. Apple is leading the way to this, too via itunes.

Also, the longer you own it and work on it, the smaller it looks/feels. You'll get used to it.

+1

The first couple days i used it i was wowed by the size.
Now i look at it and it just looks normal size. If it had a size 3 or 4 inches bigger it wouldn't matter to me.
Besides I watch movies on it all the time, then it's the bigger the better
I love having 3 windows open next to each other. I can fit 3 word documents at 150% next to each other. It is brilliant for productivity.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
another thing that annoys me they had always been good in color matching at apple , seems they lost there sense of taste ,black and brushed alloy iMac ..and a alloy keyboard with white keys and a white and silver magic mouse:eek: ,that doesn't fit together ...apple please a alloy keyboard with black keys and a black silver magic mouse would fit far better to the new iMacs at least if apple wants me to get one one day a new iMac ...but changing the glass surround to white would be easier i guess and would not involve me buying a new mousepad ,new router ,new desklamp ,new telephones ,new ashtray too :eek: everything here is color coded in white silver /alloy and a black and silver iMac would look totally out of place and because its so huge i cant ignore the not matching colors :(

wysinawyg

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2009
For those saying its too large, yes it is a bit silly for reading MacRumors on.

But then thats not why you should buy a 27" iMac.

Start up Aperture and having the menu list down the side, the reel of photos at the bottom and the currently selected photo large enough to properly see - priceless.

Messing around trying to sort out best settings for Handbrake, Terminal window with test encode running, Safari open with the Handbrake forums, text edit with the log of settings I've been trying, Automator with my Batch Encode workflow open - all full size, no messing around with expose or having to select the windows just all the windows open full size for my eyes to flick around.

Proper work means a pair of documents open full size next to each other for comparison etc.

Is any of this necessary, not really. Does it make it quicker and more pleasant to use, certainly.

The only issue I have is I wish the text size was more easily globally adjustable as it is on the small side, although something you adjust to.

cb31

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2005
Too large for normal desktop usage for me, my 21.5 is perfect. Having said that if there is an app that you need large screen real-estate then it may be better, it will just look huge on your desk. In the shop the 21.5 looks tiny but is actually quite big in a residential environment.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
You get used to the screen size and its good for watching movies fullscreen, or being able to have a few different windows open at the same time.

A lot of people have been saying its too big, but I've seen some pictures of 27" iMacs on some crazily small desks, their owners must nearly be touching the screen with their nose in some cases.....

drummerlondonw3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
London
if you cant see the need then it would probably be too big for you

if you do work in graphics/video then the screen can really never be too big.

if you are doing word processing then even the largest MBP could be too big!

bmullemeister

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
Size does matter

I changed from 20 to 27 inch and it's great for business applications
iPhoto is a pleasure to work with and the added SD Card slot helps getting things done in one step
The best I find is viewing videos/movies/eyeTV
Internet surfing ...wow....Games especially Call for Duty 4....awesome
In many cases I have two spreadsheets going side by side..so easy to copy and paste
Can highly recommend upsizing

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
i can have even 4 spreadsheets open at once , one on each iMac g3 and one on the eMac and one on the monitor connected to the eMac and i can easy drag and drop things from one to the other as they are all within my network ,
so no problem there
i also can have 4 different websites open at once if i need to that is .
i can watch a film on fullscreen on the monitor while opening 2 websites and doing spreadsheets on the eMac and as my monitor is also a lcd tv i can watch tv while doing some cutting with final cut on the eMac and opening photoshop on one iMac g3 and looking ebay on the other iMac g3 .

so thats what i call multi tasking with fun :D

but i dont do anything apart from the spreadsheets and some other office staff for a living

i just prefer 4 smaller screens instead of one big one, and the + side of this setup is if one computer should fail for whatever reason the other 2 are still working :D and another +, i have spare parts for all eventualities ready and it needs me only a hour to fix one of them
so if i would have a 27" iMac instead , if it breaks down for whatever reason i would have no computer at all,and dont say it wont happen ,just read the forum and you get a idea about the 27" iMacs reliability and because its under warranty i can not even fix it myself that would mean in the worst case just before a weekend no computer for 4 or more days

bsk

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2010
Bristol, UK
It's a no brainer for me

My partner has promised me one for my birthday (roll on July) as I could never afford one. While I don't think it would be an advantage for everyday work, we will finally be able to lie in bed & watch films in their proper aspect ratio at a size we can actually see what is going on. Goodbye 19" screen.

Kallel00

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2009
The screen isn't too big after 3 weeks of using mine I wouldnt ever want to go smaller again. I wear glasses and I have no problems with the smaller pixels or eyestrain. It makes photos look so much better too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.