27" iMac/VM Ware/CoD - Advice.

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by AppleSimon, Feb 11, 2011.

1. AppleSimon macrumors regular

I have a 27" iMac, 3.02GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, and ATI 4670 Graphics Card.

I have never really got into gaming on it other than a little bit of The Sims and Football Manager. But now I want to play a few more FPS games like Call of Duty Black Ops.

I already have Windows 7 running through VM Ware, but would it be better to have it running through BootCamp. I won't need to use the Mac OS side of things if I'm gaming and if I did then I would just grab my Air. So rebooting to switch OS isn't a problem.

With my graphics card, would I be able to run games at minimum 1080?

Finally, I use the Magic Trackpad, so would like to use a proper mouse, I'm thinking about getting a fairly good gaming one, would that work ok wired into the Mac's USB port? And same for keyboard? Or would using the standard wireless Mac keyboard suffice to begin with?

Thanks.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You need Boot Camp for any serious gaming. ATI 4670 should run game okay at 1080p though likely not at the highest settings. USB mouse should work fine. IMO the keyboard is fine for gaming, no reason to buy a new one.

3. Hansr macrumors 6502a

Bootcamp is a must for FPS games, except for really old ones. I'd recommend a wired mouse and keyboard for FPS games, well at least mouse. Wireless is laggy.

4. AppleSimon thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your prompt replies guys. I'll get cracking on it straight away.

When installing Windows 7 onto BootCamp, will all of the graphics drivers/sound etc work straight away? I'm sure I read/heard someone say that all the drivers need to be downloaded?

Definitely going to get a better mouse. Will use this keyboard for now and see how I get on.

5. Hansr macrumors 6502a

They are on the SL install disk that came with the iMac.

6. AppleSimon thread starter macrumors regular

Ahh even better! Thank you very much :)

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

See this in case you have problems installing it. It is recommended to update the GPU drivers as the ones bundled with the SL disc are ancient. Assuming you have 64-bit W7, here is the link for the latest drivers