27" iMac vs 27" LED Display

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Keva161, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Keva161 macrumors member

Hey all,

I have a 2010 13" MacBook Pro which I primarly use for my web design work and its been ok up til now. I'm starting to get bigger projects though and my tiny 13" screen just wont cut it :( So ive been eyeing up the 27" iMac for my next computer purchase as the screen real estate will really help :D

However, given the cost of one (1400 quid!) I looked around and saw the 27" LED cinema display for only 900 quid :)

Bargain I thought. But is it? Is it worth just buying a new omputer and getting the screen free or just the screen for a bit cheaper?

Would love some advice...:apple:

2. seb-opp macrumors 6502

get the iMac, you're basically getting a really powerful computer for £400, since you're getting a screen either way.

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Personally I would go for the Dell Ultrasharp u2711 instead. Since it does not have the high glare of the glass covered Cinema display or iMac.

4. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Get the iMac. More powerful computer with a great monitor, and now with thunderbolt ports so you can hook up additional monitors, hi-speed drives, etc. iMac gives you much more flexibility, and if you need to be mobile, then use your MBPro.

5. Peteman100 macrumors 6502

If you can do without the Thunderbolt connector, you can pick up a used last-gen LED ACD for pretty good prices

6. puma25uk macrumors member

I've an iMac 27" (quad i7), and it's a beast of a powerhouse, no doubt. However, with the £500 you save by buying the cinema display, you get a second monitor, so you could run your main design work on the 27" and get mails and safari open on the laptop screen.

Plus, when the time comes to upgrade the laptop, you can put the £500 towards a newer model, or maybe even get one of the new minis.

I love my iMac, and no mac mini will get close, but it bothers me to have to chuck/replace a perfectly good screen when I get to change it.
    In that respect, the new Cinema display with Thunderbolt looks a sound investment.

Have a look at the refurbished store (for some reason when I checked now it had no refurbs listed :confused:). I got mine there, paid £1399 for the iMac on the sig :D (minus the RAM, which I upgraded myself from 4GB for around £60 on Crucial)

7. JaHull, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011

JaHull macrumors member

Hey,
    From what I understand the new iMacs and Apple Cinema Displays with Thunderbolt will only work with 2011 Thunderbolt equipped computers and not any of the macs which have miniDisplayPort connectors. But if you can pick up a 2010 iMac or the LED Cinema display (not the Thunderbolt one) they are both a great bargain.

Currently in the apple online refurbished there is a 2010 iMac 27" with 2.93GHz i7 with 4GB RAM, 1TB HD and a ATI 5850M for £1289 which was the top end model of last year.

The choice is really yours I have a 2009 27" iMac and they are a lot more powerful than the 13" MacBook Pros and for a few hundred quid I personally think it is worth it but if you want to save a little the LED ACD is also great which are around £800 new on Amazon