27" iMac vs. Mac Pro vs. 15" Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wacomme, Feb 25, 2011.

1. wacomme macrumors regular

I've been going back and forth on the merits of buying a Mac Pro to replace my G5 Desktop Mac or a 27" iMac. I own a 30" NEC monitor. If I buy an iMac I'll sell my 30" monitor whereas if I buy a Mac Pro I can keep my non-glossy monitor.

But now that the new Macbook Pros are out, I wondering if I should just buy a 15" MBP and keep my monitor. I have a couple of questions:

1) Is the performance of the MBP on par with the iMacs? With the graphics card in the MBP, will this easily run my monitor? I'm a photographer and routinely use Aperture and Photoshop. I felt the old MBP without the graphics card fell a little short in this area.
    2) Will 8MB of RAM handle my Photoshop needs? I also run multiple programs at once. If I buy an iMac or Mac Pro, I'd buy 12 or 16MB of RAM. 8MB seems rather small.

I don't really need a portable Mac, as I have a work PC notebook and will likely buy an iPad sometime soon. However, if the performance is on par with the desktop models, why not?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If you don't need the portability of the laptop, I'd pass on that. If you really like your monitor, I'd consider one of the Mac Pro quad models, especially with its expandability. However, if you can wait for a bit, I'd do that, as the MBP refresh yesterday could be a very good indication of what will come in the upcoming revisions of the iMac and Mac Pro.