27" iMac vs Retina iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by fastlanephil, Oct 21, 2014.

1. fastlanephil macrumors 65816

fastlanephil

If you up 3.4 i5 27" iMac to the fusion drive with which the i5 Retina iMac comes standard with then there is only a $300 difference between them. Upping the processors to the respective i7 upgrade the result is much better for the Retina iMac with regards to price/performance from early speed tests results that have been posted. Additional upgrading of memory, storage and GPU are similarly priced.

So it looks like even if your not going to do a lot with 5K and also use it in lower resolutions which still have a pixel density advantage, the Retina iMac is a very good value.

The only advantage for the standard iMac is the ability to be used as a display for another Mac using target display mode via thunderbolt.

Of course the Retina iMac will need some use and testing before this concussion can be confirmed.

2. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

If you are correct about $300 price difference, than 5K vs 2560x1440 is absolutely worth a $300 upgrade.

3. hyune83 macrumors member

I think the iMac 27 is only worth it if going for the base configuration as the price goes up exponentially with the upgrades. Once over $2000 might as well go retina.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're looking at the 27" iMac, I cannot see why you'd not opt for the 5K iMac. Better CPU, GPU, and the screen is gorgeous.