27" iMac watt consume

zoran

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Hi, can someone tell me how many watts does the 27" 2.93 Corei7 iMac consume? And where can i see the answer officially?

zoran

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
From Apple homepage at : http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html

Line voltage: 100-240V AC
Frequency: 50Hz to 60Hz, single phase
Maximum continuous power: 205W (21.5-inch models); 310W (27-inch models)

I will look tomorrow on my iMac; I have a little device to measure real number (will be less, I guess)
but those numbers are not for the iMac im referring to

----------

Thanx for stating it so "creatively" but i still don't get it how the OSX version can indicate what im looking for :(

Nov 28, 2010
located
but those numbers are not for the iMac im referring to
What about the links in post #2? Have you tried a specified www search? Shall we do it?

PS: You could also download the trial of iStat Menus, there select the Sensors section and look at the power consumption.

As for "About This Mac", click on it, click MORE INFO (and if you have Mac OS X 10.7 Lion or OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion on SYSTEM REPORT) and then go to Hardware > Power.

zoran

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
What about the links in post #2? Have you tried a specified www search? Shall we do it?

PS: You could also download the trial of iStat Menus, there select the Sensors section and look at the power consumption.

As for "About This Mac", click on it, click MORE INFO (and if you have Mac OS X 10.7 Lion or OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion on SYSTEM REPORT) and then go to Hardware > Power.
Thanx, but regarding the iStat im not interested to see the consumption at specific moments, im interested to find the max consumption that can be made on the imac.
I have SnowLeopard and in power it is not stated!

Nov 28, 2010
located
Thanx, but regarding the iStat im not interested to see the consumption at specific moments, im interested to find the max consumption that can be made on the imac.
I have SnowLeopard and in power it is not stated!
Okay then. What about the links in post #2?

zoran

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
but guys, is this correct, it still consumes power 0.22W even when turned off?

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
but guys, is this correct, it still consumes power 0.22W even when turned off?
It's in standby, just like all PCs. The only way to zero is unplug or use a power bar with a power switch.

Buy a Kill-A-Watt if you're curious about AC power consumption. It'll track usage over time.
http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/7657/

PS almost everything you plug in these days consumes power when off (TVs, Game Consoles, etc...)
Worst offender are Wall Warts.

zoran

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Is the iMac in Standby mode when its turned off? Is that what you mean by Standby? Or is it on Standby when its in Sleep mode?

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Is the iMac in Standby mode when its turned off? Is that what you mean by Standby? Or is it on Standby when its in Sleep mode?
Nope, off (just enough power to turn on when the power button is pressed or WoL). Off isn't really off on most electronics, it's just very low power. Like I said either unplug it every time or if 0.22W worries you then get a Kill-A-Watt and measure all sorts of electronics around your place, you'll be surprised.

Another great leech are UPS's, they are constantly drawing power to keep those batteries topped off.