27" iMac: What you see is not what you get?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by aermotor, Mar 21, 2012.

1. aermotor, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  2. admanimal, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012

admanimal macrumors 68040

The 27" iMac has a 109 ppi screen whereas the 24" iMac has about a 95 ppi screen, so I don't see why it is surprising that a given amount of pixels takes up more space on the 24" than the 27".

3. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

I don't mean to sound like a jerk but if you didn't know this before you bought the 27" iMac, you don't have enough experience/knowledge as a web designer.

I have never heard this comment before, anyone with 2 weeks of formal training would know the reasons behind your confusion.

Any web designer with a 27" iMac knows the benefits of the 27" screen is that you can look at your website with all your palettes and tools still onscreen.

Web design by essence, needs to be checked on multiple OSes, web browsers, and screen resolutions. I remember doing that 14 years ago when I worked for some start-ups.

The 27" is great for designing websites, you just have to understand the limitations of the devices used by the people intended to view your websites.

4. aermotor, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012

aermotor thread starter macrumors newbie

Learn something new every day. I won't even bother to respond to the specifics of your comments, but thanks.

A laptop at 1440 and a 24" at 1920 do not even remotely have the type of difference/effect I'm talking about when viewing designs between the two; they look identical. I don't why I'm supposed to automatically know the difference when talking about a 27" and 24" iMac when they look nothing alike.

5. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

newsflash: dealing in PIXELS is the reason we have display problems with sites across multiple devices.

don't deal in pixels, if you can at all avoid it.

6. aermotor thread starter macrumors newbie

Agreed. Hard thing to avoid as of now, but hopefully it's moving away from that. Thanks.

7. psimac macrumors newbie

psimac

Higher Res Monitors Make Everything Smaller

The physical dimensions of images on the higher res display will always be visually smaller than they will on a lower resolution display. Here's a way to see this side by side: go to the Apple Store, place a high-res 15" MBP with a standard MBP and look at the lettering on the title bar. Compare web site type on the same site. The high res MBP will show items smaller.

If you want to see pixels at the same size as your 24" iMac, run your 27" at the me resolution by adjusting your Display settings in system prefs.