27" iMac with 1TB SSD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by police340, Mar 6, 2014.

1. police340 macrumors regular

Hello,

I will be purchasing a new iMac, 27" maxed out with all specs except the memory. I was just wondering if anyone has the 1TB SSD and how do they like it. I have extra Thunderbolt storage so debating between the 3TB Fusion and the 1TB SSD.

Thanks,
    Bill

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I have the 512GB SSD option. Love it. A single SSD will be significantly faster than a Fusion drive for all but small file transfers.

I also use a Thunderbolt 500GB SSD for scratch space. I hate having to access files off my mechanical HDs. Spoiled.

3. Truthfulie macrumors regular

Go for pure SSD if you can afford it. You already have TB external storage, there is no reason to go Fusion Drive and loose out on performance. 128GB SSD in Fusion will be significantly slower than any pure SSD options.

4. police340 thread starter macrumors regular

Ordering now, thanks much. Bill

5. hpucker99 macrumors newbie

I went the same route as you, ordering the upgraded CPU and 1 TB SSD and doing the RAM myself. It is screaming fast compared to my maxed out late iMAC and I'm glad I went this route. I will never use a spinning hard drive again and will upgrade my Mac Pro 15 later this year to a 750 GB SSD.

6. police340 thread starter macrumors regular

Nice going. Ive ordered it maxed out with the exception of the memory, will update that later myself. Now the hard part is waiting! Good luck with yours.