27" Imac with broken logic board, seeking advice

Discussion in 'iMac' started by choose46, Jan 29, 2013.

1. choose46 macrumors newbie

I have a mid 2011, 27" Imac, 2.9 GHz processor, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HD. The logic board is broken and it is not worth replacing, as the cost would be almost as much as a new machine. But, the hard drive is fine, and the monitor is in great condition. I am looking for advice on what I can do with the working parts of the machine. Sell them? (where?) Reuse them? (how?) Any advice greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. Dreamboy macrumors member

Dreamboy

In which country do you live?

I think in Europe you have 2 years warranty. Maybe your iMac is still under warranty.

3. Fuith macrumors member

Careful on that one, the fault has to be proven to be there when it was originally bought. If it's working fine for 18 months, then goes faulty, you may not have a claim. Worth checking out though.

http://www.apple.com/ie/legal/statutory-warranty/

4. Dreamboy macrumors member

Dreamboy

It's a shame that Apple is trying to look at this for selling more AppleCares.

I had experiences with other devices and never had any problem requesting my warranty within the two years period.

Once I had a logic board of a Samsung notebook blown one week before the two years expired. Gone to Mediamarkt and they paid more than 700€ for the repair without any problem.

5. whodey02 macrumors newbie

Hi, I am in need of a single connector off of your broken logic board. Can you private message me to discuss?

6. Brian Y macrumors 68040

The MLB for that machine is about £350. A new machine would be £1400. How is that not worth replacing?