27" iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by skitzie, Apr 2, 2011.

1. skitzie macrumors newbie

My screen flickers and goes black! It stays black and flickers like it wants to come back on and can't. Finally the screen returns to normal. It does this when it wakes up and at random times while I'm in the middle of something! Really frustrating....
    I also have those gray smudges that some of you wrote about. I wonder if it's connected with the black screen and the flickering? :confused:
    I'm some distance from a store with a genius bar, my warranty is up this coming August. Guess I'll soon be taking a drive! :eek:

2. skitzie thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so now I know it's a 24" iMac

:p Any thoughts about the smudges on the screen, the flickering and black screen? Anyone have these problems? Will Apple back up their product I wonder. Can't work under these conditions. Help!?:eek:

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If you're in warranty, it will be taken care of, no worries. There were certain models that tended to have issues with their graphics cards, one being the 2008 24" with the nVidia GPU, which you may well have.

4. skitzie thread starter macrumors newbie

24" iMac

My warranty is up in august 2011, so yeah, I must have that 2008 model. Thanks! Do I have to go to an Apple store or can it be resolved on-line? Closest store in almost 2 hrs away. Your reply is so encouraging, I was really stressing!

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It sounds like a hardware fault, so it will have to go somewhere to be fixed. You could try calling and asking what the best way to go about it is, but a genius appointment at the store would likely be the easiest way to get it fixed.

6. I AM THE MAN macrumors 6502

I would agree with this other replier. Calling first would be the easier thing, and going to the store after that 2 hr drive and Apple not being able to do anything would be horrible!