Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MDL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2012
Saw these today, don't know much about them. I've installed OSs on PC and Mac (MacBook) before, but didn't know if there was anything else to be aware of.

I was going to just bring in a disc and try to install the OS to see if it still operated fine, would this work?

Here are some photos I snagged. http://m.imgur.com/SCskGAY,Gy3lDoH,HYKETga,M9QZPl0,VuKhWHP

Would really like to turn one into an office computer, but no biggie if they're a red flag.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I was going to just bring in a disc and try to install the OS to see if it still operated fine, would this work?
Probably not if its a recent iMac, as they do not have optical drives.

How much are they offering? It might be worth the gamble.

MDL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2012
Probably not if its a recent iMac, as they do not have optical drives.

How much are they offering? It might be worth the gamble.
I believe it had a CD drive on the side, not sure.

The price was $450 each.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
You could bring a cabled keyboard/mouse and external harddrive with system on and select it as boot-disk on startup by pressing the alt/option-key during start up.

MDL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2012
So that means its a probably a 2011 model, as the late 2012 iMacs dropped the optical drive

I made some assumptions in that I took the base model, this one may be faster, but it gives you an idea of the worth (if it is in fact the 2011 model).

Just to be clear, this is what I believe to be a CD drive, am I correct? http://m.imgur.com/HYKETga

I'm also a bit confused, I didn't measure it, but this display certainly seems larger than 21" and was labeled as 27".

Did they make a 27" in 2011 as well?

You could bring a cabled keyboard/mouse and external harddrive with system on and select it as boot-disk on startup by pressing the alt/option-key during start up.

Thank you this is a good suggestion. I will look into getting the OS on an external HDD.

Any idea which version I should attempt?

Thanks guys!

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
Yes, those are CD drive slots. Not sure what a 27" iMac is doing in a thrift shop, especially three of them...

iWombBanger

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2016
Be careful if it is a 2011 model. Those AMD GPU's tend to go belly up!

Also, serial number is on the metallic stand on the bottom.

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014

Also, serial number is on the metallic stand on the bottom.
Yes, to be specific. It is is the Radeon 6970M who has known to fail. I also had to replace the Radeon 4850M in my 2009 27" iMac (switched to 5750M 1GB from 2010 model, which works wonderful and much cooler).

HallStevenson

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2012
Not sure what a 27" iMac is doing in a thrift shop, especially three of them...
Donated by someone who has no interest in what is often a hassle in selling used stuff is my guess. Being (3) of them, they probably came from a business.
[doublepost=1472259077][/doublepost]
At first I thought maybe it died and the owner just bought something else and didn't want to deal with it. Then I remember there are (3) of them ! Pretty slim odds that the GPU failed on all (3). I'd buy all (3) of them in a heartbeat if I had the cash ! Could resell them and make a decent little profit.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Donated by someone who has no interest in what is often a hassle in selling used stuff is my guess. Being (3) of them, they probably came from a business.
Possibly, so they can write off the donation, as they see little to know benefit in selling a fully depreciated asset, so donating was the choice.

As I said, I'd roll the dice and grab one of them.

Booting it up with the optical drive and doing a quick check won't hurt, but I think it may be a nice find

Reactions: Borin

iWombBanger

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2016
Yes, to be specific. It is is the Radeon 6970M who has known to fail. I also had to replace the Radeon 4850M in my 2009 27" iMac (switched to 5750M 1GB from 2010 model, which works wonderful and much cooler).

I've also seen more 6770M and 6750M go belly up that are in these iMacs also. I'd personally wouldn't buy any 2011 model.

Dopeyman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2005
Los Angeles!
I think they're the 2010-2011 models. Those have the SD card slots underneath the optical drives.

Also, the serial #'s are located on the bottom side of the stand. So you would have to lay the computer down to see it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.