27 in Cinema Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jtap, Jul 16, 2010.

1. jtap macrumors member

Is a 27 inch Cinema Display on the horizon any time soon? What is the general consensus on this? I am looking for another large monitor to sit next to my iMac 27in, but would like them to be near, or the same, size. Thanks.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's expected to be released along with the updated Mac Pro but it's just a guess.

If you want something now, grab 27" iMac off the refurb store for 1449$, it'll be 100% match and you can let it do something like encoding while using its display

3. jtap thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply Hellhammer. Hmmm, thats a thought. Any guesses on the price for the upcoming cinema display? Would it still be $900? If it is closer to the $1449 refurb price point I should probably just pull the trigger on that and get a computer with it for free. :)

How would I connect the two iMacs though? It was my understanding that the iMacs only have outputs, not inputs. I guess I can use something like Synergy however..

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Unless there is major price cut in 24", it'll likely settle for ~1200$. Dell sells display with same panel for 1049$ so add Apple tax for that and 1200$ should be fair. Of course, this is just my guess but I doubt it'll be cheap

5. jtap thread starter macrumors member

How would you go about connecting the two iMacs though? Thanks! :)

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

7. mangrove macrumors 6502

I was at my Apple store today and got confirmation that only 27" iMacs have input via Mini DisplayPort. They could not demo since store units won't do that.

Also description on iMac at Apple Estore confirms input possible on 27".