27-inch 5k iMac, delete iOS, Install Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by wsalopek, Jan 7, 2017.

1. wsalopek, Jan 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2017

wsalopek macrumors newbie

Hi folks,

Please pardon my ignorance...also, every time I search for my issue, the answers are all about dual-boot, soft windows, and the like.

What I want to know, is can I buy a 27-inch 5k iMac, and simply install Windows 10 (over-writing the installation of OSX), from a USB or DVD drive?

Why? The Apple hardware IS beautiful, but I want to stick with Windows.

I know, I am probably missing out some advantages of OSX vs Windows, but be that as it may, I am simply too ingrained and invested in Windows (photo editing, video editing and a lot more), plus have a few drone programs that will ONLY work on Windows, to want to mess around learning and investing in OSX.

So...

Can I break a new iMac out of the box, insert a new copy of Windows 10 on a USB stick or DVD, and install Windows 10? Can I use a PC keyboard? Can you think of any issues I may run in to?

Thanks...

--

Bill

2. JarScott macrumors 601

JarScott

Get the Surface Studio. About the same price point, if not a little more, as gorgeous as an iMac and runs Windows natively. Also touch screen. You really aren't spending your money wisely by buying an iMac just to run Windows.

3. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

You probably need to keep a minimal OS X partition on board, but you can make the rest of the drive a BootCamp partition and use it as a Windows machine (as it will always boot into Bootcamp until you tell it otherwise). I know many people who do just this with various Macs.