27 inch ACD Not Sleeping Right

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by captainhulk, Nov 4, 2010.

1. captainhulk macrumors newbie

I have the display set to sleep after 5 minutes, but the screen saver comes on, even at the login screen. I have the screen saver set to never. I also noticed that the display is not fully sleeping. When i flash my desk lamp on the screen i can still see the login window very faintly.

Has anyone experienced this with their 27 inch ACD?

2. ovrlrd, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010

ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

First, you might want to reset your Energy Saving prefs because they might have gotten messed up somehow. I will post the instructions on how to do that below.

Second, it is normal that when the display goes to sleep the panel is actually still turned on. "Sleep mode" for LCD displays just means that the backlight turns off when it goes to sleep. The reason for this is to allow for it to turn back on very quickly without having to wait for OS X to recognize the display (can take a few seconds on some Macs). So yes, you might still see the panel showing something if you point a bright light at the display. Be happy that it doesn't entirely shut down or you'd be annoyed at how long it took to come back on. Don't worry this consumes almost no power at all, it is the backlight that really uses any power, not the panel itself.

Here is how you reset your energy saver prefs:

3. captainhulk thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestion.

I deleted those files and I did an SMC reset. I think the problem seems to be with the Mac Pro and the 27 inch Cinema Display 1.0 Update. I connected my Macbook Pro which doesn't have the Cinema Display update and it puts the display to sleep fine. The screen saver does not come on and the display is perfectly darkened, no visible login window or background.