Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lg251

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2009
Canada
Do the Apple stores offer upgrade services?

Let's say I want to bring in my iMac (late 2012) and ask for an upgrade to the SSD instead of the 1TB HD, is it possible? Do they charge the actual cost they have online when you buy (around 1300$) to do it?

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
Do the Apple stores offer upgrade services?

Let's say I want to bring in my iMac (late 2012) and ask for an upgrade to the SSD instead of the 1TB HD, is it possible? Do they charge the actual cost they have online when you buy (around 1300$) to do it?

This isn't a direct answer but in the past when I purchased a 3.2ghz i3 2010 iMac they offered upgrading the disk to 2TB in the store. I didn't want the new machine getting opened up, nor did I care about the upgrade to 2TB. Thought it was interesting to hear that offered though. I don't remember the price but I am sure it was the same cost as the BTO option. They probably had a Mac upgrade quota to reach for the month or needed some extra PMI.

Last edited:

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
This isn't a direct answer but in the past when I purchased a 3.2ghz i3 2010 iMac they offered upgrading the disk to 2TB in the store. I didn't want the new machine getting opened up, nor did I care about the upgrade to 2TB. Thought it was interesting to hear that offered though. I don't remember the price but I am sure it was the same cost as the BTO option. They probably had a Mac upgrade quota to reach for the month or needed some extra PMI.

Stores stock certain BTO configurations - they don't physically open them up to do upgrades (other than RAM), and they don't retrofit upgrades either :).

lg251

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2009
Canada
Stores stock certain BTO configurations - they don't physically open them up to do upgrades (other than RAM), and they don't retrofit upgrades either :).

Ok so I guess they ship them out and call you back when the iMac is back?

I might just wait and open it myself after the warranty has passed!

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010

No, they were going to open the machine up and install a 2TB disk.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
They can only do that for Mac Pros - no idea how they were going to manage that!

iMacs get opened at Apple Stores every single day. It's not for your average tinkerer, but it's not exactly rocket science either.

OP, I'm sure they would be glad to order an SSD and install it for you. I bet it would be $1300 + installation fee though.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
They can only do that for Mac Pros - no idea how they were going to manage that!

Yeah I thought it was unusual too. Like I said, they probably had their sales goals and dollar amounts to hit (it was late January at the time), and it was surprisingly slow that night in the store, why not squeeze out some high profit margin dollars with an in store upgrade like this?

Happens all the time in retail, don't think Apple is any different than other stores when it comes to meeting goals and sales figures.

----------

iMacs get opened at Apple Stores every single day. It's not for your average tinkerer, but it's not exactly rocket science either.

OP, I'm sure they would be glad to order an SSD and install it for you. I bet it would be $1300 + installation fee though.

I agree. Opening an iMac isn't that serious and is done daily in probably every Apple Store nation wide.

lg251

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2009
Canada

Great thank you!

rjs2

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2012
UK

The old iMacs were much easier to open weren't they? I think the screens were held in place with magnets - they are now stuck in with some serious glue. They may be able to still though. Others on the forum have.

$1300 is the "upgrade" fee to have SSD in place of HDD

If you bought one aftermarket then it would probably cost more as apple are not saving the price of a 1TB HDD on the deal?

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
The old iMacs were much easier to open weren't they? I think the screens were held in place with magnets - they are now stuck in with some serious glue. They may be able to still though. Others on the forum have.

Not glue. Double-sided tape. I understand it might take a bit of practice but someone working in the back of an Apple store has likely been trained and got it down pat. That's the hardest part; once you get inside the layout is more logical than in the past.

$1300 is the "upgrade" fee to have SSD in place of HDD

If you bought one aftermarket then it would probably cost more as apple are not saving the price of a 1TB HDD on the deal?

Usually it costs more to have an Apple Store genius do something than the factory worker in China who is just slotting the SSD in before the mobo is even assembled. I haven't asked but I wouldn't be surprised if they quoted $1300 as just the parts price. I don't think the existing HDD would be a factor; they could leave it in as a second drive or rip it out for you to take home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.