27 inch cinema display stopped working under winows 7 (32-bit)!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by skbharadia, Apr 21, 2011.

1. skbharadia macrumors newbie

I have got a macbook pro 2009, its triple boot and i have used boot camp (Current version - 3.2) to install windows 7 32 bit version. After two 18 months or so, i bought a 27inch cinema display and hooked up it to macbook pro. It worked fine under all OSs (mac, windows 7 n Linux). But On windows 7 i was getting default (maximum) resolution of 1280x800. Obviously thats not good when you are working in dual screen mode with 27inch LED display. So i went ahead and googled the issue and found this link.

So i updated the driver regardless looking into the fact that - do i need an update?

while installing the driver update, screen (macbook pro and cinema display) went blank for a sec n computer restarted itself, n since then cinema display has stopped working under windows 7.

Whenever i boot into windows 7, and connect cinema display both screens go blank (though OS is running). If i disconnect, macbook pro screen won't come up either. I have to put it into sleep mode, disconnect the cinema display and then wake it up and everything is fine.

I called apple support, they couldn;t deal with the issue, suggested me to update boot camp version to 3.2 which i already have. I went to apple store as well, they said, they cannot deal with it either since its "NOT TO DO WITH MAC" !!!! Not sure how this works, i have two apple products (macbook pro and cinema display) which DO NOT work.

Hope I get some help here.

Thanks

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

By your own admission, both of your Apple products work just with Apple's operating system. Your problem is with Windows, a product not sold by Apple. I note that you linked to an out-of-date thread on Apple's discussion forum. A more recent [2011] thread is by a user who has found success by downloading and installing newer drivers from Nvidia's website.

3. skbharadia thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you for ur reply and providing a link to most recent similar issue on apple support. although I did come across that thread, i remembered, n i have done what is mentioned there - downloaded latest version of Nvidia's driver from UK website n since thn this problem has occurred.

And with apple's cinema display, i guess you are not bound to use Apple's MAC OS X, you could use it with any thing, and addition to this, out of the box, cinema display didn;t work as it should be, resolution was too low (1280 x 800 on 27 inch display!) even-though i have latest version of bootcamp.:(

But i appreciate your efforts for looking into this issue.

4. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Your problem is very much due to drivers, not hardware, as the 27" ACD works fine under Windows. Apple won't support Windows, as it isn't their software!

You need to re-install the NVIDIA drivers in Windows (check their website again for the most recent), without the 27" ACD being connected at all. Let your MBP restart and get back to the Windows desktop with everything working, and the drivers fully installed.

Turn off, connect the ACD and boot up again. Don't plug the ACD in whilst your MBP is on - do it when it is OFF.

As for the resolution, make sure your settings in Windows are not on the Mirrored option otherwise you'll just get your MBP's internal screen resolution on the 27" ACD. You need to set it to extended desktop mode, or try clamshell.

5. skbharadia thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, i have tried method you mentioned many times, latest version for Nvidia GeForce 9400M is 270.61, i have got it re-installed 3-4 times, checked MPB alone without ACD connected, it worked this way.

But as soon as i turn MBP off, connect ACD, i see windows boot animation on MBP, n as soon as login screen is about to come, both screens (MBP n ACD) go blank. Then i have to close the lid, let it go in sleep mode, disconnect ACD n wake it up, n everything is running just fine on MBP, i see login screen!

I'm not sure what wrong im doing, this issue just taking too much now...

6. rtheb macrumors 6502

You sound as if you are beating a dead horse.

Go into Windows and do a System Restore to a point before you attempted to update the drivers with the first (older) drivers you downloaded.

If your display is working after the Restore then create a new System Restore point.

Now download the latest drivers, install, reboot, and see if you are good to go.

If you are then create another System Restore point; if not restore to the just created System Restore point.

7. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Okay, sounds like your drivers are fine then. The black screens sound as if they are being sent signals that are out of range (ie: not displayable by the monitor), and are hence going dark.

Suggestion 1 would be to try and boot Windows in Safe Mode (with ACD connected), which should allow you to check your display settings.

Suggestion 2 is to start from scratch and reinstall Windows...

8. jenzjen macrumors 68000

+1, reads like something went wonky, I'd just backup, blow it out and reinstall clean.

9. skbharadia thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your responses ppl, but this dead horse has got a new life!

after too many un-installations/re-installations, i got annoyed and decided to uninstall the driver from Device Manager for the last time, n surprisingly, system got restarted twice! (normally it did only once). And when driver is un-installed, you can see task-bar with solid white colour, but this wasn't the case this time, so i connected ACD and n... woooaaallllaaa, both screen were on (but resolution on ACD was 1280x800.

And surprise surprise, when i went into CP to change the resolution it gave me option to change it to the max supported by ACD.

So, issue is sorted (still not sure what caused it to work ACD).

Thanks for your efforts.

10. rtheb macrumors 6502

That is good to hear.

Be sure to create a System Restore point now that everything is working just in case it starts acting up again.