27 inch iMac benchmarks

Discussion in 'iMac' started by David1985, Jul 15, 2011.

1. David1985 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I recently purchased a 27" iMac 3.4 with 16GB ram, 256GB SSD, 2TB HD and 6970m graphics card. My benchmarks have been in the 11800-11888 range. Is this normal for my set up? I've seen others scoring above 12000. Would upgrading to an Intel 320 SSD make much of a difference in my score? I'm currently using the apple supplied SSD.

2. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

3. The-Pro macrumors 65816

Why does it matter is what i would like to know. Even if others have lets say roughly 12500 (don't know this, just an example), thats like what, 3-4% more than yours. Seriously???? You really wouldn't notice this in real life. Its just numbers man. Benchmarks don't say everything about a computer. If you really think it's that important, hell, upgrade to whatever you want, but let me ask you: is your system fast?? is it fast enough for your needs?? do you really want to spend another several hundred on a all ready expensive and wonderful machine?? Feel the urge to crank open an iMac to change an SSD for an SSD (taking apart an iMac and getting it back together is not easy btw)??
    ;)

Well, as far as I know you can use SATA III SSD's in your iMac. Apples SSD's are SATA II. So technically, yes, it should improve your score (as long as the Intel 320 SSD's are SATA III)

I don't know what program your using, but have a look at this, and decide if your system is performing normally or not. http://www.anandtech.com/show/4340/27inch-apple-imac-review-2011/9

4. David1985 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thank for replying. I feel its defintely fast for my needs. It seems slower than
    my MacBook Pro 2.3 with 8GB ram, 512 SSD. I guess my expectations had the bar set high. I figured since the iMac is double the ram and 3.4 vs 2.3 it would reproduce the wow factor. I understand that a bench is just a number and the real use matters more. I think I'll stick with my current set up. After researching the amount of work needed to install a new drive I'll pass lol.

5. David1985 thread starter macrumors newbie

My benchmark was using 64bit geekbench.

6. The-Pro, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2011

The-Pro macrumors 65816

What exactly feels slower? daily tasks or things like video editing, photo editing, renderings?? stuff like that. If its daily tasks feel slower, doesn't really matter, its annoying sure, it would bug me too. However that amount of power in your iMac can only me leveraged by some applications.
    Single threaded tasks could feel the same in both machines because your MBP's turbo boost is at 3.46GHz, whilst the iMac's is at I think 3.6 or something. You wouldn't really notice much difference there. Use your iMac for the heavy lifting, it will complete tasks which depend purely on CPU speed quicker than your MBP. Also in terms of GPU, you have wayyyyy better performance, so you will see a massive difference in performance when whatever your doing relies on the GPU (Gaming, some rendering programs for example)
    Yeh I wouldn't install a SSD if I all ready had a SSD in there :D, unless the capacity is to small or its broken :D

7. David1985 thread starter macrumors newbie

My benchmark was using 64bit geekbench.