27 inch iMac distance

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Wreckie, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Wreckie macrumors regular

Hello everyone,
    I am planning to buy 27 inch iMac.
    What is recommended distance of 27 inch? Would this monitor kill my eyes compared to my current 19 inch or is it all just about right distance?
    Thanks.

2. Kendo macrumors 68000

I keep it about a foot and a half away from my eyes. I lean slightly forward when I browse the net, and lean slightly back when I play a full screen game.

3. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

Not sure what you are asking about by "kill my eyes'. I have a 20" monitor on my desk at work and a 27" iMac at home. The different workspaces dictate that the iMac is actually a bit closer to me than the monitor (probably time to get a new desk at home!). At work, my monitor is nearly 3' from me (well beyond arm's reach), while at home the iMac is closer to 2' away (I can easily reach it). As far as pixel size, font size and possible eye strain, I have no issues with either distance. The only possible issue that I have is that I have to turn my head a bit to see the edges of the iMac - if it could be about 6" farther away, I think the entire screen would be easier to scan.

4. Wreckie thread starter macrumors regular

I am wondering if 27" could be more harmful for my eyes than 19"?
    In my opinion when I have right distance, it shouldn't be, but could anyone confirm that?

5. leman macrumors 604

You should use a viewing distance you are comfortable with and make frequent pauses. That's all it is to it. Oh, and make sure its not too bright, the display can burn your eyes out at the max brightness settings.

A note, however: it needs some time getting used to the 27" iMac. At first, my eyes got tired very quickly. After few days, I can stare at the display for hours without getting tired ;)