Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
Good idea let me know how that goes.. Maybe ill do the same some day. Sadly I don't live in the us so I have no idea how long repairs take. But I have apple care so they should give good and fast support.

----------

Yeah it's rather disappointing that such a high amount of iMacs have an uneven fan sound. Would it really cost apple that much to use the retina mbp fan(?) it would be more suitable in an iMac since that's a desktop and stays inside a quiet environment.

I KNOW RIGHT !! when they were announcing it i was almost certain that they were going to say "we learn from our retina mbp using this fan... bla bla blah, now the imac is getting it too" but that never happened and im still wondering why. like i said it bothers me but not quite as much as a crappy screen so..

streetfoldsfive

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2012
Good idea let me know how that goes.. Maybe ill do the same some day. Sadly I don't live in the us so I have no idea how long repairs take. But I have apple care so they should give good and fast support.

----------

Yeah it's rather disappointing that such a high amount of iMacs have an uneven fan sound. Would it really cost apple that much to use the retina mbp fan(?) it would be more suitable in an iMac since that's a desktop and stays inside a quiet environment.

I've called apple and they said to bring it into the store to be looked at. I'm not to keen on that though. They also said the fan should be audible because of the thinner design. Now my concern is maybe its the harddrive spinning causing the noise not the fan?

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
I've called apple and they said to bring it into the store to be looked at. I'm not to keen on that though. They also said the fan should be audible because of the thinner design. Now my concern is maybe its the harddrive spinning causing the noise not the fan?

As you hear on the audio clip I have, I have the slight clicking sound too. I have no HDD just flash, so it has to be the fan :)

As they say in the store, that the fan should be audible. I have no problem with that, it's just the tiny clicking sound that attracts my attention.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
I just talked with a pc geek of mine, who said he had the same sound multiple times from fans of pc´s he built. And, it´s obviously some cable or some minor thing that is barely touching the blades of the fan. it is probably so little that it doesn´t really matter and it might as well go away after a while. He also said a slight tilt to one of the sides often works.

So, I tilted my machine and I kept it on for an entire night and now its gone. Only smooth silent air which is barely hearable. :) So, then currently it´s nothing left to worry about on my imac.

crovali

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2011
How can you check your fan RPM's? What program are you guys using? I'm currently using a replacement model because my original had a small defect, but the original didnt make a sound. I can hear the fan blowing air out of this imac pretty much from the moment I turn it on. No clicking noises or anything, but I can still hear it. How can I check the fan speed???

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
My iMac 27'' is pretty much silent, yes I can hear a very low fan sound if I try to notice it, but it is hardly there at all - and this is in a silent room. I installed Windows 7, and did lots of stuff and didn't hear the fan speed up once. I have the SSD, no HD.
PS: What the other guy said. I also had a PC a few years ago, and the chipset fan on the motherboard was sligthly hitting a small cable. That could definately be the problem, because then you would get that "clicking" sound.

streetfoldsfive

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2012
My iMac 27'' is pretty much silent, yes I can hear a very low fan sound if I try to notice it, but it is hardly there at all - and this is in a silent room. I installed Windows 7, and did lots of stuff and didn't hear the fan speed up once. I have the SSD, no HD.
PS: What the other guy said. I also had a PC a few years ago, and the chipset fan on the motherboard was sligthly hitting a small cable. That could definately be the problem, because then you would get that "clicking" sound.

My fan sounds like constant air blowing but its pretty loud so i think ill bring it in to the apple store sunday.

dillonwalsh

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2013
Brand New iMac 27" fans run loud

So my 27" iMac just arrived on January 18 after coming all the way from China through Japan, Alaska, and California on Monday to get here. I ordered it Dec. 25. I have it maxed out so it cost me $3200. I just got it out of the box, set up, and turned it on and the first thing I notice — before anything else that can impress me — is that the fans are running at full speed (it seems) and are quite loud. Very loud. I've been through all the steps Apple suggests (resetting SMS, for example), but nothing works. I live at least a hundred miles from any Apple store. I have three other iMacs, a 2009 27" iMac, and two 2011 21.5" iMacs. I can hear them, too, but their sound is something I actually have to concentrate on to hear. This new computer is just flat-out loud. Anyone have any ideas? I sure would appreciate it! Thank you.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
So my 27" iMac just arrived on January 18 after coming all the way from China through Japan, Alaska, and California on Monday to get here. I ordered it Dec. 25. I have it maxed out so it cost me $3200. I just got it out of the box, set up, and turned it on and the first thing I notice — before anything else that can impress me — is that the fans are running at full speed (it seems) and are quite loud. Very loud. I've been through all the steps Apple suggests (resetting SMS, for example), but nothing works. I live at least a hundred miles from any Apple store. I have three other iMacs, a 2009 27" iMac, and two 2011 21.5" iMacs. I can hear them, too, but their sound is something I actually have to concentrate on to hear. This new computer is just flat-out loud. Anyone have any ideas? I sure would appreciate it! Thank you.

I have no idea, but it sure isn´t normal. I can hear loud fan noise when my fan ups to about 2500 rpm. That happened only once when I was encoding a video. Once the encoding was done it went down to 1200 rpm. When I play heavy 3d games such as Diablo 3 etc it stays at 1200 rpm and it´s bearly hearable. Seems your fan is unable to adjust to the temperature the way it should...I don´t know how the fan would behave then, but I assume it would stick to a high rpm to make sure the machine stay cold or something like that :) though Im no expert. I would get it repaired unless they are able to help you over the phone.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

Download SMC Fan Control (http://www.eidac.de) and tell us what RPM your fan is set to. It should be 1200rpm or thereabouts when idling/general OS X usage.

LCD

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2012
USA
I just received my second late 2012 i7/1TB Fusion/16GB iMac after returning the first with dead pixels - the returned unit was all but silent - could not hear a thing.

The replacement just received has an annoying background fan noise that is not loud but very audible - and was not present on the first unit I sent back.

I contacted Apple - went through Ctrl-Alt-P-R boot, noise still there. Apple sending replacement.

Third-time-lucky.

I had a simiar experience with 2 2012 21.5" iMacs with 2.9 i5 processors and Fusion Drives loaded to only 100GB.

The first iMac I ordered on Nov 30, delivered Dec 10, used for about 60 hours in a very quiet room and shipped back on Dec 18. I never heard a fan.

I could hear the fan running all the time in the replacement iMac delivered to me on Dec 26 from the moment I turned it on. I could barely hear it from the front and found it not to be annoying.

Tbdbuckeyeitl

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2012
Mine has a similar air flowing sound as everyone is describing is this normal or is the fan being heard a reason for return?

mocciat

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Northern California
That's how mine sounds as well. So a bit relieving. Mine is extremely silent, but I can hear the rotational clicks, or what I should call it. But, it's very silent.
Here's my audio clip, I held my iphone close to the fan hole behind the machine, so it sounds a lot more extreme than what it really is, but it's not a constant smooth air sound, which is what I reacted on.

link:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22885829/imacfan.m4a

iMcLovin, Thats exactly what mine sounds like. I think it's more noticeable with the vent on the chin. I was worried because I just had a 2012 27" 1TB Fusion with no other upgrades replaced because it developed a red line down the screen after 29 days and don't remember this noise. Although, I did have to upgrade to a 27" 3.4 with the 680 card because they didn't have my model in stock and I would have had to wait 4 weeks. They did give me a bit of a discount though.

I feel better about it after listening to yours.

mocciat

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Northern California
I couldn't take the noise anymore. Since I was within my 14 days I returned it and swapped it out. iT is more quiet but still some normal fan noise.

Be advised to check the new unit before you take it home as the 1st one they gave me had a big dead pixel in the front middle of the screen and the 2nd one had the black paint scratched off the bezel just above the isight camera. Just do your due diligence.

Hope this helps.

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
I just talked with a pc geek of mine, who said he had the same sound multiple times from fans of pc´s he built. And, it´s obviously some cable or some minor thing that is barely touching the blades of the fan. it is probably so little that it doesn´t really matter and it might as well go away after a while. He also said a slight tilt to one of the sides often works.

So, I tilted my machine and I kept it on for an entire night and now its gone. Only smooth silent air which is barely hearable. :) So, then currently it´s nothing left to worry about on my imac.

there are not loose cables in the iMac, and especially not with the fan. its the bearing of the fan blades itself.
tilting it may have only changed the rpm a bit but will probably kick back into the previous sound you heard before.

either get the fan replaced or swap the machine.

Another thing you can try is to run the hardware test, it will stress the fan during the logicboard test, so that may help max the fan for a moment to see if it will adjust. otherwise the fan will continue to operate as it is.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
there are not loose cables in the iMac, and especially not with the fan. its the bearing of the fan blades itself.
tilting it may have only changed the rpm a bit but will probably kick back into the previous sound you heard before.

either get the fan replaced or swap the machine.

Another thing you can try is to run the hardware test, it will stress the fan during the logicboard test, so that may help max the fan for a moment to see if it will adjust. otherwise the fan will continue to operate as it is.

Mine has been perfect ever since I tilted it. And the air stream sounds smooth both in high and low rpm. I don't know if there were cables or something else inside the iMac somewhere in the way of the air stream causing the flaff-flaff sound. But it disappeared after I did what I did.

It seems strange it's such a common problem. You would think apple would detect it then. Which is why I think it might happen through shipping?!?

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
Tilting it probably temporarily adjusted the bearing of the fan, but likely wont be a full fix. And there are no cables that would be against the fan or other components.
If it becomes an issue get the fan replaced.

Tbdbuckeyeitl

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2012
Is that sound the fan or hard drive. I am curious how loud is your fan noises? I can hear mine a few feet away, but I can not hear it if it across the room? How loud is your fans and air blowing noise?

TX328F

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2009
Texas
Is that sound the fan or hard drive. I am curious how loud is your fan noises? I can hear mine a few feet away, but I can not hear it if it across the room? How loud is your fans and air blowing noise?

Good point, it can be difficult to identify the source of the noise. When dealing with a traditional desktop, you can open it and stop (temporarily) the fans to figure out where it comes from, but this is not the case... I wonder how many of the noisy iMacs have the SSD.

steffenj

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2013
Anyone considered that it may *not* be the fan after all?

I found this thread because I too was looking for confirmation whether the fan noise I hear on my 2012 iMac is normal or not.

I used to own a high-end late 2009 model with 1000 rpm fans - nothing to hear. New 2012 iMac (680MX, Core i7) has a constant hissing noise. Not very audible, the clicks of mouse & keyboard are far louder. Though I'm really sensitive thanks to no outside audio pollution. I can even hear the humming of my TV LCD screen on mute.

So … after playing around with the fan speed (iStat) and having had plently of hard drive models to work with recently, I suspect that the noise most of us are hearing may actually be the spinning of the hard drive!

Why? Because the sound the fan makes as it speeds up seems to shift or change the "type" of noise generated. Though the more I speed up the fan, it doesn't really change its audio characteristics. It's only when it falls below 1500 rpm that I start to hear more and more of the constant hissing noise I hear all the time.

What's more, the sound at the back has the profile of a running fan. There's a slight ffft-ffft-ffft sound of the fan blades spinning and air pressure constantly rising and falling. That's not what I hear at all on the front: at the front it is a very constant humming/hissing sound, no flapping blades.

Think about it: a 3.5" 5400 rpm hard drive spinning has a constant, low-level hiss that most people would dismiss as barely audible. The hard disk sound can be enhanced depending on how the fan and its casing are connected and positioned.

And the fact that we may actually be hearing the hard disk may have two explanations:

- The new model's casing may allow a better transfer of noise from the hard disk, possibly to the front thanks to the much thinner glass. I can hear the noise sitting in front of it, about 40 cm away.

- The air vent is where the air is blown out - naturally that's also where most any noise coming from inside will come from. If you listen closely there you'll of course attribute the noise to the fan. But both loudness and vibration of the sound on the back don't match what I hear on the front.

Possibly the only way to confirm would be to open up the iMac, and stop the fan altogether. See if the noise persists. Anyone care to try? :)

Btw: if the iMac is standing on a small wooden or glass table the iMac may give off more sound than if you put its stand on a piece of cloth, carpet or plastic. More so if its against the back of a solid wall - the noise gets reflected back on you. Even the stand itself influences the sound, I can clearly hear the sound profile changing depending on what angle the screen is on.

It may be easiest if you simply find a piece of old carpet or kork to place your iMac on, perhaps even cover half a square meter of the wall behind the iMac. This may be enough to dampen the noise significantly. I'll try this myself soon.

Kutuzov

macrumors member
May 14, 2012
I suspect that the noise most of us are hearing may actually be the spinning of the hard drive!

Thank you for sharing this. I've spent some time thinking about this as well, and I was pretty sure it was either the hard drive or PSU malfunction.

The problem is, with fusion drive, is the hard drive really supposed to be on constantly? Shouldn't it shut down when it's not being used?

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
The flaffing noise I had in the beginning was not the hdd. I have the flash drive so it's only the fan that is moving inside.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.