27-inch iMac or 15-inch MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JordanT, Feb 24, 2011.

1. JordanT macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Am starting a Film Production degree in September so I am buying a Mac for it, but I want one anyway as well. I would be using it for video editing, but it would probably become my main computer regardless of what I got (crappy windows!).

The new MBPs come out today, and I'm not sure what to get. I'll get it at the end of March, my 18th.

What I'd go for is: the low-end spec 27-inch iMac or the low-end spec 15-inch MPB.

Being as MBPs are so expensive, I could only afford the low-end spec and I'm not sure if it would be powerful enough for what I need it for, even with the refresh?

Also, is there likely to be a refresh of iMacs before the end of March?

I think I am heading towards iMacs but I don't want to get one only for a refresh to come out 3 weeks after (the MBP refresh is not the only reason for thinking of getting a MBP).

What do you guys think?

2. hulfordp macrumors member

Idea

I do alot of photo editing and processing. It is not as intensive as video editing, but I use Aperture 3, PS CS5, and Indesign CS5 - having the all open at once. I am using a lower end 13" macbook pro (last gen now :( ). I then bought an external monitor, that way I can work at my desk, take my laptop to shoots, work in a coffee shop and so forth. So there is a third option, buy the 15inch macbook pro and then get a monitor. You can find some good monitors online at B and H, and other places. Just an idea, that works well for me!

3. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

1) as a student, portability is probably going to have a lot of value.

2) Thunderbolt (LightPeak) is going to be a huge differentiator, even though we aren't seeing any peripheral announcements yet. I would have a hard time buying a new computer without Thunderbolt. I would expect to see this come to the iMac, mini and air later this year, but no idea of when that might happen.

4. JordanT thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated.

Do you think there would be any trouble in terms of power at all on the MBP? Because that is what I am worried about mainly. I'm sure it will run Final Cut, but I don't want it to be noticeable... As you can see I'm relatively new to macs! :)

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Dude, it was just released today - it's state-of-the-art.

You won't have any trouble.

6. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

I had the exact same inquiry.

I'm upgrading from my 13" MBP (i previous had a first gen MacPro quad, and a 2.8 Octo MacPro, 17"MBP and now a 13") waiting for the right updates to come about.
    Now my predicament is that I love portability if necessary, but wanted the power of the iMac with SSD + HDD.
    I'm not 100% sure what would be the best benefit or value.
    2.0Ghz QUAD-Core 15" with High-res display with 128GB ssd + 27" Apple Display
    or
    27" iMac i7 Quad 2.93 256GB SSD + 2TB HDD

so Im torn between portability and a whole package.

7. MathiasVH macrumors regular

Why don't you go with a MacBook Air and an iMac 27"? That's what I'm planning to do. MacBook Air for ultimate portability and iMac 27" for the ultimate visual experience and for performance. Right now I have a 15" i5 which is neither really portable nor "big enough".

8. JordanT thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help guys!

Just an update, ordering the base 15" MBP with hi-res anti-glare tonight.. Excited!

Going to buy a ACD over the next few months before I go off to Uni i think :)

Thanks again :)